REVIEW Cosmo 130 gas gasless welder

1. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

I thought I'd add an review to hopefully help a few of the new buyers thinking of buying a cheaper range of welder, I have picked up a Cosmo 130 gas and gasless welder a few years old I'd guess 8 years at the looks of the condition of the unit and as ive paid a cheap price just to see if one of the cheaper units hinder or help your start off intro in to welding if you are going to buy a cheapy unit to start with

20200106_210117.jpg
    20200106_201542.jpg 20200106_201542.jpg

now bear in mind im not a pro welder just a person thats been on the site for a only a few years have come a little way (not that far) and started out with an very old migmate 100 (one of the older units that seam to be not great but passable for starting off)and gone through 6 units before getting a clark 160en in good condition and can weld thin .6mm metal to 4mm to fair weld

any how this is much of a review unless im talking about the unit im doing a review about so back to it so first off the reason i got the welder was he could not get a good continus weld out of it the first thing i noted is that it has what seams a plastic feed unit and no matter what i done with the tension on the wire feed did not get a good feed and from looking on the fourm for the last few years did a sip repair

see photo below

• 20200106_211321.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

ok a little on the late side for an update as ive now got time on my hands

(first i dont know how old the unit is so this is one variable that i cant say and would affect the compairsion to newer units) id guess at 3 years as from the condition

more of what ive found with this unit

the fan is noisy im sure my clark is of about the same age and sounds like its 10 years old but this can be changed cheaply so not a big problem

the switches compaired to my clark are a little cheap but they do work

the torch does feel a bit cheap but uses clark tips and shrouds so getting bits if you run out in the middle of a job should just be a trip mechine mart

one of my maior hates with this unit is no numbers on the wire speed after using my clark for a while i know the settings for certain size metal but only by the numbers now ive used the unit for a little while now and welded a few bits i now know ruff where to put the dials where they need to be but this is not going to be very helpfull as the people that this is sold for is the diy market a fair amount of them will not know where to dial it in for the metal they need to weld

the cables on the front are handy for a quick change over but do we realy need them handy once ive set my clark for gas ive never changed it ive not swaped over back and forth and i dought most new to welding well need to and for me the dangling cables if carrying around are more things to catch on stuff or catch it with my foot on the way passed but i do like that i can remove the return cable for storage that might be some thing added to my clark

and more the problem than any other is the run on on the wire feed near every time i have to cut the extra wire off the end before welding again and this gets old very quickly

NOW ON TO THE WELDING

after the sip repair it did spark and run a wire so set it up for solid wire and my co2 setup

i tryed 1mm metal that i could not get a nice weld out of either burned through or was not enought but it was only 1mm and i can mostly only tac weld on that metal

i then went up to 2.5mm what ever setting i set it at it would splutter and get no depth to the weld no matter what i tryed as i ran out of soild wire and out of time i set it back in the garage

come on a few weeks and ive bought a new return clamp and installed flux core wire with new tip and shroud and tred a few welds now this is where it gets intresting i can weld not that its great but can weld now thats not to say im going to start a car welding busness with it but thin metal is hard very hard 1.5/2mm metal is weldable not that i would weld some thing inportant but a garden gate or a broken bar on a 3 piece suite i would be sure it would not snap or break

any how hope this gives a fair insite to the cheapo welders and will have a play a bit more in the near future as time allows to rate this up against telwin welder unit that is also set up for gassless

3. wacky7791

wacky7791 Member

its the same design as a SIP 150 I had, did every mod possible to that thing and still couldn't get a stable weld out of it.

a111r likes this.
  4. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

At the moment am split it's not a Clark or defo not a kempi but a welder If that's what you can afford I will weld certain thickness to a fair standard at the moment would I recommend one to someone NO but is it some thing if you want a quick repair as you cant be bothered to get your gas welder out set up and change over to gasless if your working in the middle of your garden fixing your gate it will do a job I'd at the moment keep it just for that

5. a111r Member

Cosmos are SIPs painted yellow.
    25 amp suggests it should do thin metal easily.
    IME, polish it all you want, do all the mods on here.... but it will always be, err, sub-optimal.

Sealey / Telwin are better but still not as good as the older Clarke blue models. There's plenty of these for sale, unloved, for next to nothing. I've bought four of them the past few years, for between £5 and £40.

wacky7791 likes this.
Advertisements