Rescue Dogs

1. Carl Wilson Member

I'm not talking about Battersea and canines here. Rescue Dogs is a term I use to denote tools that have been saved from scrapping.

Items that have years of productive service behind them - and many years to go - that are whisked away from the maw of the skip that some thoughtless individual or organisation saw fit to consign them to.

Here are some of mine. All the items in the photo below are "Rescue Dogs".

DSC_1093.JPG

2. Parm

Parm I only give advice if I know

That looks like a good haul there

3. steve_s Member

What the green handled ratchet thing for ???

4. daleyd

daleyd Member

Look like bootlace ferrule crimpers.

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

A bootlace ferrule is actually called an aglet ;)

More Amps and daleyd like this.
  6. daleyd

daleyd Member

Good luck ordering them from RS :laughing:

MCKDAVID, zx9, MattH and 1 other person like this.
  7. Carl Wilson Member

The red handle one is also a boot lace ferrule crimp. It was brand new. I used those green variocrimp pliers for years. The two soldering irons also and the c spanner. These things had hardly seen any use.

They were going to be scrapped simply because no one could be bothered to do anything else with them.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Of topic comment ...Boot lace ferrule or aglet (thanks for that pedrobedro)...when mine fall off and the end goes all fuzzy and hard to thread ,I use a bit of heat shrink...

MBB, slim_boy_fat and frank horton like this.
  9. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

The 2 ratchet crimper's are for for "crimping" the brass pins in multi way plugs.
    @daleyd Think Plessy multi way buggers.
    Yes the ends on laces for boots are called "Aglets". In old days they were metal. If you were rich, silver was common, if poor brass.

That's why the modern pin terminals are called boot lace terminals. They are very useful when dealing with thin cables.

The one blue covered tools is an "Automatic Wire Stripper", you place the cable in the right slot and away you go.
    Be careful, some are metric, some are imperial and some are special to type.

The Facum soldering iron is a good bit of kit, specially if you have the extra tips. Don't use any abasives on the tip to clean. They don't like it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I picked one of those up for £1 and it's a really handy tool, you can put a break in the insulation in the middle of a run of wire to splice into it.

11. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

out of interest all Facom tools are very good........even tho made in Frogland.......tend to be a bit expensive even compared to Mac or Snap-On........
    always looking out for them on the Bracont's Mr Fixerupper..........hahaha.........

fixerupper likes this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Most of my engineering tools are rescue dogs.

Some of my chippie tools too.
    My big dewalt chops was 5 years or more old when I bought it. 11 years later it's still serving me well with minor repairs.

13. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Bracont's?

14. wobblemonster Member

Brocante's are French flee markets

fixerupper likes this.
  15. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, BIB, Do you mean the second from left? I thought it looked like a Hellerman type sleeve stretching tool, it's upside down so can't see properly. Don't see them very often nowadays, well I haven't anyway.

Colin

16. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

They could be sleeve SF spreader. But they look like the strippers I have.

Mind you those spreader pliers are still around.

17. Carl Wilson Member

The blue handled tool is a small wire stripper. The green and red handled tools are for boot lace ferrules. The Facom tools are very good. The c spanner is handy and I often use it, it's also Facom. I don't have any spare tips for either Facom soldering iron but they are easy to get.

There is also a short 17mm ratchet spanner that is a handy thing. All of this is better off in my workshop than in the skip it was destined for.

Those two crimpers may well be used for crimping pins for multiway connectors, but for their entire working lives up to the point that I got them they were used for bootlace ferrules. We had other precision crimping tools for multiway connectors.

Advertisements