Replacing Rusty Bits

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Going to be replacing a load of rusty bits starting with the floor and outriggers. Not planning on writing too much but hopefully will get plenty of pics. Getting time at the workshop is the hardest bit but hopefully I get a good run and get stuff done. Pretty much half the floor pan out now and fixed a bit on the inner sill, chassis rail and was just lining up the new outrigger when I had to head home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

monky harris and andy_v like this.
  2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Before you close it all up ie get the floor down,coat the inside of the chassis/outriggers etc with some sticky stuff or whatever and plug up all the pre drilled holes

3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Got to be a wee bit carefully though when welding as they're normally flammable. I prefer to leave the drain holes and cover them with grommets.

Mee likes this.
  4. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Well laugh at this one,when i did my van took the whole floor up did the repairs then plugged all the holes up with PU then slapped around a load of vaseline, welded a floor back on using 3mm sheet from an old oil tank,no fires,no sparks etc nothing,guess what,no rust either,that was 5 yrs ago;)

arther dailey, Mee and Jim Davey like this.
  5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Welded in the front outrigger after work. Next got to cut out the rear one and make a new section.

Not very good pics, I broke both my work lights so only have my old rubbish one at the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anjum and andy_v like this.
  6. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Got a better pic tonight. Didn't have much time but made a start on the rear outrigger.

[​IMG]

7. mechman Member

What type/make of van is it or have I missed it.

8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

An old Volvo Amazon.

9. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

my fathers old mate used to use vaseline...he was into modifiying leyland vans, putting v8's in them, turning them into 6 wheelers or pick ups, tow trucks etc...i only knew him for about ayear before he died but he would always coat everything in vaseline after welding it and them plating over the top

Mee and monky harris like this.
  10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Prepping for replacing the rear outrigger, all the bits are made and just a little surface prep and I can weld everything in. Welded in one small repair already. Took me about 8hrs so far to prep everything so a bit slow going. Made a new outrigger with my little Gabro, it couldn't quite bend the small flanges so I had to finish them with a hammer. The outrigger is 2mm thick. Will get it all welded in this week after work is the plan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Just need to tidy the welds up, weld in a new seat nut/plate and that's the structural repairs done. I ordered a 13mm belt sander last Thursday but it's not turned up which is annoying.

My wife is on call this weekend so I can have a weekend at the workshop which is great, just need to get a new bottle of gas Saturday morning first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Miggy89

Miggy89 Member

looking pretty tidy that tho it is always a pain trying to find time when doing projects

Mee and Burdekin like this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Mine arrived from Amazon today, not had a chance to play yet but looks OK.

Enjoy the weekend!! :drunk:

Burdekin likes this.
  14. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Will get one from B&Q tomorrow if it doesn't turn up today.

Mee likes this.
  15. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
    Great work bending 2mm

Must be really satisfying having new metal in there!

Burdekin likes this.
  16. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Thanks. Yeah it's a bit depressing when you find rust but feels good getting it fixed. Bit like going to the dentist, you don't want to go but after you're glad you did.

Plenty more to do as well. Going to get the old girl rust free. Just found the inner NS wing has been replaced and only tacked in so need to work out if I fit a new one or try and weld in the old one properly which might be more hassle as it's lapped over so cutting it accurately to be butt welded could be difficult.

Mee and SIP-Free like this.
  17. SIP-Free

SIP-Free Member

Nice work there.
    What (in the pics) are you using to spray the shiny, welded parts?

Burdekin likes this.
  18. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It's zinc galvanising spray, I just sprayed it on last night to stop any rust for now.

At a bit of a quandary if I just give the chassis rails a good clean, 3 coats of gal spray, then Dinitrol 4941 then plug weld the floor in or paint all but the flanges with epoxy mastic. Trouble is the epoxy is more heat sensitive and catches on fire and flakes off. I think I'll start a thread to ask and see what's best.

Mee likes this.
  19. SIP-Free

SIP-Free Member

I think I'd galv spray inside the enclosed parts (even the weld areas), weld it up, treat the outside to epoxy primer, seal the seams and use your choice of cavity wax.

Mee and Burdekin like this.
  20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Finished removing the old floor, welded in the new nut/plate for the seat, dressed some of the welds, fitted up the floor pans (took me longer than I thought), started oxy butt welding on a bit of extra metal to the rear pan as it isn't big enough to plug weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisements