Replacement switch MightyMIG 130XT Mk II Turbo?

1. Dragnet Member

I got one of these relatively cheaply some while ago. The switch in the torch handle has snapped. It is a rod with two o-rings on that switches the gas, while also retaining the wire feed switch in a groove to actuate it at the same time. I've tried Araldite with a piece of MIG wire down the middle as reinforcement, but it hasn't held in two tries.

I'm loath to spend £60+ on a new torch as the design seems pretty flimsy to me. WeldEquip aren't there this afternoon, but I've sent them an e-mail about it.

What is it worth me doing? A new torch? A new switch component? Conversion to Euro torch?

I'm considering buying a larger machine too, for the better feed people discuss on here, but I'm concerned it won't go down low enough for the car panel repairs I wish to do, so I was expecting to have two machines.

In that sense, the Euro-torch conversion makes sense, as I believe I could change the torch between the two if I were to get another machine which included one.

2. a111r Member

This is the type of torch, eBay item number 124082693429.
    I might have some torch bits left from one I broke up.
    But not worth doing a Euro conversion on, IMO.
    Plenty of bigger MIGs go down to 20 amps

3. a111r Member

Found it. It's part of the valve, the O rings doing the sealing and so doesn't feel like it's meant to come apart.
    I really ought to throw more stuff away...

DSCN3368.JPG

Dragnet likes this.
  4. Dragnet Member

That's the johnny! That top half of the rod has snapped off just below the slot for the switch. Are you offering it, or dangling a cruel carrot? ;)

5. a111r Member

You can have it plus the rest of the torch bits for the postage.
    The valve's swan neck thread is a bit rough but may clean up OK.

6. Dragnet Member

Thank you - the bits arrived! I'm just awaiting a new liner and I'll see what's what.

a111r likes this.
  7. Dragnet Member

I had a quick go this evening with the new liner, a cleaned wire feed and a new liner in the swan neck. I'm using 0.6mm wire because I've been practising on 0.9mm sheet, so I wasn't expecting miracles with the 3mm plate I had lying about! However, the feed is a lot smoother and the tension on the rollers has been taken back a great amount, whereas before it had to be tightened right up to feed at all. Now it's smooth through all ranges. I have a class tomorrow, so I'll have a proper go with it then.

a111r likes this.
  8. a111r Member

Good to hear that you have the aptitude and ability to fix it for minimal outlay.

It's a slippery slope, as now you'll be finding better kit to fix...and there's plenty out there.
    Last week I bought a 2011 Sealey Supermig 150, described as 'wire doesn't feed'.
    The 'fault', 0.8 wire was using the 0.6 roller groove...

Advertisements