Removing ethanol thus water from fuel??

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Tis was posted on another forum, never tried it, looks interesting, may need additives?

What does the collective recon?

hunter27 and Ali like this.
  2. dannyp Member

I quite like alcohol fuels tho, the 5 - 10 % pump blends tho are somewhat anoying for pet cars its cost me a few fuel pumps, id rather have 85% + ethanol as long as the duity refected its lower calorific value as my enigne loves alcohol more than i do. but low % blends seem to bring all the problems and none of the gains,

id be intresting to know what affect removing the ethanol has on the octane rateing i bet the supplyers are useing ethanol to knock the RON rateing up a bit as well

3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Just buy bp premium.
    Ethonol free and higher octane.

Not sure about she'll these days.

Ali likes this.
  4. cheb Member

Wicked, or should I say WKD?

Parm likes this.
  5. knighty Forum Supporter

so... what's so bad about ethanol in petrol?

6. dannyp Member

ethanol likes to absorb water, problem comes because wet ethanol dosent mix with petrol so it seperates out, then things corrode

ronan likes this.
  7. cheb Member

It can, I'm lead to believe, make some plastic fuel tanks swell. Ducati have had problems that have been blamed on this. It may also affect aluminium if left in long term, methanol fuelled engines are sometimes started and flushed through with petrol.

I'm being vague as I've not seen it myself.

8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Was an issue with trials bikes. Fibreglass/plastic tanks softened and stretched.
    Carbs gummed up when left standing.

Used to shut the petcock and run mine dry.
    Pop the tank and drain if I wasn't riding for a while even after I switched to ethenol free.

ronan, WorkshopChris and Gragson like this.
  9. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

In Milton keynes of all places (likely due to proximity to Santa Pod) BP ran a trial a while back at 2 stations of 102 RON. As I filled my bike I felt my trousers being yanked down, it was expensive.
    Certainly saved detonation up to 16 psi :cool:

Parm, ronan and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Had to run at least 97ron on my bike. Knocked something rotten on stockm

Gragson likes this.
  11. cheb Member

I run 2T bikes. I drain the carbs if I haven't used it for a week, and the tank after a month. The carbs just get emptied onto the ground but the tank fuel goes into a petrol car. I bought some Aspen fuel this year but didn't get round to using it, the TDR's oil pump needed servicing and I've been busy.

dobbslc and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  12. Ali

Ali Member

Weird, I just learned this trick off an old boy last week - yet to try it. His reasons, the ethanol eats my carb parts, and if you want to tune using a chart like the below, the colours aren’t the same with today’s fuel.

8D3DAB23-2519-4234-812E-5A854903BACE.png

The food colouring isn’t needed, it’s pretty obvious where the water lies.

Opinion on another forum was that you lose octane points.

Didn’t know about the BP though, that’s handy.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  13. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Apparently it cavities causing erosion of Alloy parts eps carbs.

Only Esso and BP sell 100% the rest add ethanol depending on the sales area, or at the choice of the forecourt/station owner.

So be warned all that glitters is not...

ronan likes this.
  14. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I accidentally put a half tank of 85% ethanol in my bike in France, last year, and I knew it before I had left the end of the slip road back onto the m-way....

For a few miles I was terrified that I may have put diseasel in, but the bike kept on running, albeit really rough at low throttle openings. After 100 miles I topped off the tank with real dinosaur juice and it came good again. It’s a ‘97 BMW boxer.

ronan and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. cardiffrob Member

Is there any use for the water/ethanol mix after you've separated it away? Vodka?

Gragson likes this.
  16. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

I would be interested to find out if anyone had looked at this in more detail. Measuring the accurate quantities of petrol and water added then the resulting output to see what is recovered from the mixture?

Gragson, Ali and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. qwakers Member

i had a 98 r1100s that i took to germany in about 2013.

ran it on ethanol for the entire t8me i was there, ran fine, i actually got 10mph more at th top end on the autobahn on e85 vs dino juice. :)

edit or was it a ‘99? was a while ago. it was a early one anyway...

18. dannyp Member

there is more power to be had from E85, but the motor needs to be tuned for it, oh yes and you need more of it

Advertisements