Regulator Q

1. Iva hardy Member

should my regulator hold pressure ? I have the main valve on top of my bottle and a valve on my regulator . When i first got my bottle i turned the main tap on and with the valve on the regulator off it showed a reading .. it stayed outside while i was getting my garage built, Anyhow a few week latee when i looked the pressure teading was bertually the same so whatever pressure was in the regulator had stayed put. I now have the bottle and welding gear set up, i noticed the other day when i finish welding and turn the regulator valve and the main bottle valve off the prseeure resfing drops to zero withon say 5 mins .. iv put water round the connections whilst everything on and no leaks .. So should the regulator hold a pressure reading once both valves turned off? The regulator is new ,

2. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    A slow drop in indicated inlet gauge pressure with the cylinder valve off and regulator set to minimum should be OK. Taking the hose off and seeing if the gas is coming out of the regulator outlet with everything turned off, is worth trying to understand where the gas is going. A rapid drop in pressure would be something to be concerned about. A slight leak in the cylinder valve would help to keep the indicated pressure up in the "all off" situation.

3. Iva hardy Member

Sorted I remember getting a plastic washer to go between bottle valve and reg. it must of fell out when i re filled , its gone but used a rubber washer for now and holding pressure in reg ..

4. When you're not welding you really should de pressurise the system and wind the pressure adjusting screw fully out on your regulator

Popcorn likes this.
Advertisements