Reasonable price MIG with REMOTE input

1. gmankev New Member

HI,
    I am looking for a reasonable price MIG with remote input to control trigger, wire speed and Voltage.
    I have access at the moment to a Thermal arc 320 SP but its price of 6300 GBP or there abouts breaks the budget. Hoping I can get down to 1--3 k GBP

EUROCONNECTOR of course, range of AMPS should be low.

Perhaps remote is only available on high end machines, but I wanted to ask.

This is for simple CNC trial and investigation.

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. If you can't find what you want would a relay with normally open contacts wired across the trigger do the job?

3. gmankev New Member

Yes, that is the default option, just do a relay across the trigger. That should work fine. However in some scenarios we want to vary V and wire speed as well.

There is standard schematic for the more expensive welders showing that if you put a Variable Resistor and vary a supplied voltage between 0 and 10v you can control the wire speed and V aswell. So to find the cheapest welder with that input would be great.

I can build the controls myself, but need to find the right welder.

4. hotponyshoes Member

If you can build the controls then just extend the wires from the switches you want to use on the welder to a remote pendent/location.

If you are feeling fancy you could re-route the switch wiring you wanted to use through a change over switch and fit a multiplug for the remote onto the welder somewhere

5. no idea Member

May be worth a conversation with Tec-Arc - their machines have a number of standard options so this may be something they can do too?

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. DTS Member

maybe a s/h Miller XMT with separate wire feed?

7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Richard. likes this.
  8. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yes the Lorch S3 mobile is the perfect spec as a replacement for the sp320.
    It’s the same machine but with heavily revised software and massively improved pulse processes (Speed/Twin pulseXT)
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/lorch-speedpulse-xt.62383/

The RC20 control can offer the full adjustment scope on amperage(WFS), voltage(arc length) job selection and dynamics. Can also be fitted with a top button for starting the arc.

• AAEF0E44-ABB6-427F-AA8C-4DAD7761CE97.jpeg
    • 2EF8B5C5-AD85-464F-A8B9-9DBB93A56B11.jpeg
  9. eddie49 Member

By "remote input" do you mean a manually-operated control box, or a wired connection to control signals provided by the CNC equipment?
    If the latter, are these signals digital or analogue?

10. Richard.

Richard. Member

He specified to control wire speed and voltage so I’d assume it’s a simple external remote control.

11. gmankev New Member

In our case we will be using programmable potentiometers and relays to drive the weld action. The potentiometers and relays are connected to a host computer running a test system. At the moment the,. weld current is sank into a thermal load, ulitimately we integrate with a CAD system.

As this is a trial, we just need to find a suitable welder at the moment.

By the way is there an open standard for defining weld patterns in CNC. I know of g-Codes for CNC machines, can weld information be specified similar.

12. DTS Member

Programmable pots? Anyway.. big issue with welding robots is the collision avoidance. I wouldn’t fancy doing one from scratch, unless it was to weld in a straight line..

13. gmankev New Member

The CAD problems are for a much later stage.. Just need to be able to control a MIG welder wire, voltage and trigger. Trying to find a reasonable price single phase welder to do that.

Advertisements