Rats

1. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    We have chickens. Its kind of inevitable that rats will appear if you keep poultry.The food is in suspended hoppers so they shouldn't be able to get that but they are still being a pain. What methods of control can you recommend? Not too keen on poison as we have dogs and whilst we could make sure the poison is not accessible, the lab would chew on a carcass if he found one.

ronan likes this.
  2. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

We have cats, and chickens. All live stock food is just kept in the shed in normal bags, except the chicken corn and layers pellets which are kept in plastic dust bins.

Dont have a rat or mouse problem, neither do my neighbours, as our cats are often seen in their barns too.

You can get poision to go in to trap type things to protect dogs etc

3. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

4. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    Cats may be the answer I think. I'm just not bothered about having them in the house, but we can make them happy in the barns. We would have to teach the two dogs that the cats are not there for them to chase though!!

I considered traps, but I hate rats and if i am honest don't want to have to deal with the blasted things once they are trapped!!

ronan likes this.
  5. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

We just dropped the trap in a water trough that sorted them

HopefullySoon likes this.
  6. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Air rifle with night vision is another option.

Parm, Ruffian and ronan like this.
  7. cheb Member

You know, the vegans might just have a point. If you are planning on killing something at least kill it humanely.

fenman likes this.
  8. Jack Russel - Labs are too laid back!!

magnet and ronan like this.
  9. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I hate live traps and poison, I can't see the point of the live trap if you're going to drown them that just seems cruel. I prefer fen traps in a tunnel so your dogs and hens can't get in them, just put them over the rat runs.

Parm, jerrytug and brightspark like this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

that's illegal drowning them a good mk4 fen trap sorts them with some meat tied on with wire

11. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

We just did as we were told by the boss 30 odd years ago

12. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

We use the small bags of poison now and they seem to take the bags down their holes and you hardly ever see a dead rat tbh

13. Migmac

Migmac Member

This method of dispatching is very frowned apron nowadays. Airgun/pistol is the preferred method.

Parm, octo0072000 and brightspark like this.
  14. Migmac

Migmac Member

Good sport too

If it was me, I would use fenn traps set in tunnels

Rig Pig, octo0072000, Ruffian and 2 others like this.
  15. maz0 Member

We just got a farm cat for the local wee beasties. I don't really know whats worse for a rat, being drowned and dead within a minute, or being tortured for a while by an evil wee cat who then kills it with razor teeth and claws before eating it. I know which is more socially acceptable though.

Warning on getting a farm cat....the little buggers endear you to them and before long you end up with just a house cat.

dobbslc, jerrytug and dcocks like this.
  16. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    Got one (had him ten years in Feb), but he's more laid back than the lab! Since we have been there, the lab has caught two rats and the JR just watches - he is the laziest JR I have ever known!!

17. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    When chickens were roaming the garden, the cats used to dodge the aggresive one, but again, no rats or mices ;-)

18. sako243 Member

My parents managed to get rid of all the rats on the farm (surprising considering they have chickens, ducks, sheep, pigs and (now one) labs). They finally bit the bullet and started poisoning them and concreting up (with glass mixed in) the holes they'd chewed. Been rat free for several years.

19. brightspark

brightspark Member

only ever drown one poor flamin thing took ages :vsad:any live catch just shoot them :)fen traps more humane

fenman and doubleboost like this.
  20. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Alpacas or llamas? There's a smallholding in the village that breed them; I'm told that they are incredibly maternal when it comes to hens, chickens, etc., and will corner badgers and foxes and kick/trample them to death - might be the same for rats? I could ask..!

Parm likes this.
Advertisements