Rather than a valved torch, does anyone make a solenoid valve for lift TIG..?

1. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Still very much an amateur newbie to welding so perhaps the answer is so blatantly obvious that it's sailed over my head.

So many MIG and MMA machines offer lift TIG; does anyone make a remote solenoid valve that could be used rather than using a valved TIG torch? If one had a switched, non-valved TIG torch you could use the switch to open a solenoid valve for the Argon... perhaps the obvious answer is to just simply make one!

2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Cant see any benefit. Turning the valve on isn't much of an issue

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

you must be talking a basic scratch start set up
    lift tigs still have a gas solenoid triggered by the torch

Richard. likes this.
  4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Not all. My wee GYS 200 Amp stick welder has lift tig functionality but no gas solenoid.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  5. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

i wonder if there is a 12dc v supply in there
    be easy enough to wire up an external solenoid possibly through a latching relay
    could operate from a torch button

6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No idea, never even tried the lift tig as I already have a dedicated tig and the EWM Migs can also do DC lift tig and they have gas solenoids so no real reason to use the GYS even if I wanted to do lift tig.

7. decca

decca Forum Supporter

I made my own pedal and attached a gas solinoid (couple of quid off eBay) triggered by a switch on the pedal. Works surprisingly well. Plus you can stop the arc at the end of the weld easier.
    upload_2019-9-7_20-29-18.png

8. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Bluetooth as well I see :D

9. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Nope, never said I was using a TIG machine. Some MIG and MMA machines offer lift TIG bit don't have a solenoid valve on the TIG side.

That's my thinking! Or an external 12V supply.

Same as my wee Paton, has pulse too, and that's what I'm thinking of!

Hood likes this.
  10. AndersK Member

I drew a schematic some time ago using a mig solenoid and a pic processor so it would also give adjustable pre and post flow.

Hood and Tangledfeet like this.
  11. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

the New arc units are the best add on
    they will worrk with any Dc welder source and have the advantace of weld current control on the box too
    they are made in the north east and spares and sevice is readily available
    good industrial quality

Tangledfeet likes this.
  12. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

With the number of inverter migs offering a DC lift it has surprised me know one has offered a Tig torch with a Euro fitting on the end allowing the use of the gas solenoid via the switch on the tig torch.
    Should be doable on a DIY basis if you have a suitable machine.

13. hotponyshoes Member

That's exactly how the ewm ones work,
    It's a tig torch with a mig euro fitting on the welder end.
    I have not tried it and don't remember exactly what the manual says but aside from using the existing gas solonide I think you get pre and post flow gas control as well.

The reason I have not tried it is because I have dedicated tig anyway and I have not found any other options apart from the genuine ewm torch and having not seen one in the flesh I don't know how good it is for the price so reluctant to order one unseen.
    Annoyingly the ewm has a dummy dinse connector on the front panel and a bit more thought with the design could have used this for a tig torch quite simply I would have thought.
    Again, as I have tig anyway I don't expect I would bother to remove the mig wire to fit a tig torch anyway but might be a nice option to take along if you were doing site work or something

Tangledfeet likes this.
  14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I will have to check later but I think the EWM Phoenix uses the Euro (when in Tig mode) for gas and switch only and you have a dinse plug that comes out of the Euro and plugs into the negative on the front of the Phoenix for the power.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  15. hotponyshoes Member

Just had a quick look at the book and you can set start/end current and up/down slope time for tig as well.
    Looking at the ewm site for the tig torch for a picomig only gives one option of this one
    IM0001184.jpg
    Specs say "control cable connection- tuchel 5-pole" which I would think is the tube coming out of the euro connector in the photo but the picomig does not have a 5-pin connector on it so no idea how that is supposed to work?
    I would not trust the information on the ewm site to be correct though.

Edit, can't tell from the photo but maybe it's a standard tig torch and an adaptor for the euro that they supply? I have intended to source or make an adaptor but it's another project that I have not got onto

16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

@Jim Davey should be able to tell you whether an adaptor is available.

17. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Just looked at the Phoenix 330 manual and you have the two dinse (5 and 6 ) for the welding leads and the Euro (10) seems to be for gas and button.
    It all sorts of 2T and 4T options with slopes, pre/post flows etc. The only thing it lacks with respect to DC Tig is HF.

ScreenHunter_3003 Sep. 08 10.24.jpg ScreenHunter_3004 Sep. 08 10.24.jpg

18. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

It’s a complete torch from EWM, however various manufacturers will sell you a Tig torch with a Euro connector or just the adaptor if you already have the torch. Thanks

Hood and WorkshopChris like this.
  19. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I would imagine it would be relatively easy to adapt a standard Euro connector and a standard torch to fit, at least for the Phoenix.
    The 355 seems to be the same as the 330, so Euro is for gas and button wires. All that would be required is a dinse adapter for the normal 3/8 nut of a torch and then take the hose to a Euro plug (may need to make a hosetail up) and connect the button wires up to the Euro.

Edit, actually the 355 with SWF is slightly different as it looks like the Euro is also the power.
    ScreenHunter_3008 Sep. 08 10.42.jpg

20. hotponyshoes Member

I think the picomig runs gas, power and switch all through the euro socket.
    It would be easy enough to take the end from an old mig torch and adapt to an existing tig torch I would think. It's just one of those things I would like to have in a box so if I went to site with the welder I could take the tig torch 'just in case ' but not something I have actually needed so I have not tried to make one up!
    Until looking at the ewm site this morning I presumed the ewm tig torch was all running through the euro connector but with them describing it as having a 5pin connector I'm not so sure now

Advertisements