Raspberry Pi SDR scanner

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

Santa brought me a Raspberry Pi 4 for Christmas this year :)

I already had the 7" touch screen from a previous idea and I bought a couple of heatsink type cases as my son also got a Rpi4 for christmas

So far I've had it working on the big monitor but the install script for the 7" display seems to break hdmi audio output, was going to use it for convenience but I have a cheap usb sound card arriving tomorrow. Hopefully that solves it

I'm not a software expert but the script just seems to modify the X11 config file so if the driver for the touch screen is detected it forces it into 1024 x 600 resolution, however it just seems to keep it at the resolution all the time

If I start the sdr software in a terminal it shows an Alsa hardware error, even plugged into a normal monitor (the resolution also stays at 1024 x 600)

Maybe I could just add that as an option manually and select it before I plug the screen in?

Any Linux experts, does that seem reasonable?

The SDR software runs well, just using a cheap adapter for now, I may upgrade once it's running nice

I've also played with over clocking with good success, 2ghz cpu and 650mhz gpu stays at 50 deg under load with the heatsink case, that's cooler than running stock (1.5ghz and 500mhz)

I've just ordered a nice aluminium desktop case from RS

Quick pic of it on test

20191229_173520.jpg

More to follow once more bits arrive

Shedendman, Parm and daleyd like this.
  2. sako243

sako243 Member

The ALSA error is not related to the display. ALSA if I remember correctly stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. I've played with it a little bit on a custom platform (based of the Xilinx / Avnet / Analog Picozed SDR) and basically it was a case of mashing keys until sound magically started playing and then saving the config before it was lost forever.

Can you post what's in dmesg and /var/log/messages?

3. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    gaz1 and Kayos like this.
  4. Kayos

Kayos Member

It is, I've found the fault :)

Basically it sets another flag that tells alsa (or Jack or pulseaudio) that you are using a monitor so it disables hdmi audio. I can either change the flag (or more likely) just manually set the resolution instead

Shedendman likes this.
  5. Kayos

Kayos Member

Success!
    The settings to get the 7" monitor to work prevent HDMI audio and therefore onboard audio from working

The usb sound card works spot on and ive disabled onboard audio.

Quick test and I need to connect to a decent antenna for some proper listening

20191230_115435.jpg

Parm likes this.
  6. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

What's the plan for it? I've got the same USB SDR dongle thing, I wanted to receive image data from weather satellites but it turned out to be a lot of effort and the satellite in the guide I was following has been decommissioned anyway. :doh:

7. Kayos

Kayos Member

Just want to use it as a desktop scanner, nice antenna high up and a bit nicer to look at than the screen on my 125.

Maker likes this.
  8. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Did not think you were a Virgin listener kayos :D

9. Kayos

Kayos Member

Strong broadcast station to make sure it wasnt an issue with the receive end

But you are correct, radio 2 or 4 most days

500e likes this.
  10. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

The pic reminded me of the PSK31 "waterfall" can it receive/decode PSK?, I worked a fair few countries on that mode.

11. Kayos

Kayos Member

Never done it but a quick Google shows software is readily available, will be something to add to the list :)

Robotstar5 likes this.
  12. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I worked quite a few South American countries with 10W on 20m using PSK31

13. Kayos

Kayos Member

I've never transmitted on it, these days I'm mostly on 2m, got plenty of locals using it near me

14. maz0

maz0 Member

When you get bored of it, stick PiHole on it and shove it in your router cupboard :thumbup:

15. Kayos

Kayos Member

Already have that running on an Orange Pi zero, it's great not having adverts even on apps

brewdexta, maz0 and Maker like this.
  16. Kayos

Kayos Member

Case has arrived from RS, just doing a bit of laying out

Most of the cables are pre terminated so once it's full of stuff I imagine lots of cable ties and sticky bases will be needed

20191231_141827.jpg

Parm, Maker and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. Kayos

Kayos Member

Bit more done today, still waiting on a few Ebay parcels, may have had a bit of project creep but that's what happens

20200102_190607.jpg

USB hubs are fixed with strong double sided tape, the Pi is bolted from the bottom through both heat sinks, should aid cooling

I've had a bit of an issue with usb having a breakdown, this could be due to the hubs or possibly the mounting of the dongle.

Bit more testing needed, I've been in 2 minds about a 12v power supply but it's looking more and more like it's the best option

Dongle mounted

20200102_190616.jpg

Antenna connection, will probably change this for a flying lead type adapter

20200102_190629.jpg

Parm likes this.
Advertisements