radius turning attachment

1. nickk Member

powys
    i need to m/c some int' radii of 70mm[rad'] & wondered if any members knew one to recommend ,or even a redundant one to sell? thanks in advance.

2. nickk Member

powys
    am now thinking of making one as i only have 6 rads to m/c ,but still interested to hear other folks ideas.

3. MattF

MattF Forum Supporter

4. nodeward Member

newbury
    homemadetools.net has loads of these on there some are real simple to make might be worth a look

5. MattF

MattF Forum Supporter

A good way to squander a few hours too, having a browse of that site. :D There's so many things on there which you never knew you wanted 'til you see them. :D

6. aametalmaster Member

7. What lathe do you have, I have a Colchester Student and I can do a 70mm int rad by swinging the compound slide with a short bit of tooling welded at 90 deg to the centre of a piece of square stock then clamped in the 4way tool holder.

8. nickk Member

powys
    good idea! & i suppose u alter the rad' by varying tool protrusion?

9. Exactly, just wind in or out the compound slide, it won't retract enough to do external rads which is a shame.

10. nickk Member

powys
    sucess! wendels method wouldnt allow a small enough rad' so i made a replacement toolpost & set a carbide tip cutter the correct distance of protrusion from the pivot point,as i'm only m/c "acetal" i was able to swing the cutter manually. Photo to follow when i work out how to upload. Thanks to all who helped.

Advertisements