R tech mig 180

1. tazmantic Member

Ok so I finally spent a few quid and bought what seems to be a decent diy mig as apposed to the micky mouse ones I bought before but my only question is in the manual it has basic settings for voltage and wire speed according to metal thickness and wire size but it always shows the voltage (on a scale of 0-10) lower than the wire speed... eg voltage3.5 wire speed 5.

today having a play for me to get a decent weld ive had to set the voltage higher than the wire speed say voltage 6 wire speed 5...

could this be due to the metal? my welding style? the fact I have co2 not an argon co2 mix? or just as my dad says you just set it how to it welds best don't worry about charts....

Thanks

2. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

I’d echo the words of your dad, if it’s welding how you want it to just disregard the charts. The co2 will make the weld run a little bit hotter than a mixed gas will. Steel should be as clean as possible.
    Make sure you’re pushing the weld rather than pulling it.

Yamhon and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. 123hotchef Member

I use to prefer welding thicker steel.with pub co2. I can't get it anymore so argo light has to.do

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

Pure CO2 is rubbish if you ask me.
    Sure it gets the job done but you’ll always be in that horrible mixed arc transfer. Loads of spatter. Argon mix all the way any day.

henry Kadzielski likes this.
  5. julianthegypsy Member

I have the same mig, and in general find I want the voltage setting just slightly below the wire speed setting, but only slightly. Ive never looked in the manual lol.
    I use argoshield universal, welding 5mm plate. I've just swapped the standard torch for an MB25, and it's much better, though it was good to begin with. Stays cool much longer and doesn't get cacked up half as much.

tazmantic and Yamhon like this.
  6. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I have the same and must admit as a beginner I started with the chart setting then played around, I to have an argon mix.

7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    just out of interest, does the digital display on the r-tech not show set voltage?

8. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

No idea as it only shows when welding so unable to look

9. julianthegypsy Member

I have exactly the same problem. I need someone to watch it for me to be any use! I can't say it's really bothered me though, it dials in really easily.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. tazmantic Member

No it shows amps but as said only when your welding so difficult to see

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I wonder why they designed it like this :dontknow:

12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Same on my Thermal arc.
    Why they couldn't put a 20 second hold when the trigger is released so you can look up and see where you were.

julianthegypsy and Lazurus like this.
  13. Perry Owens

Perry Owens Member

Surrey,UK
    I set my phone camera to record and prop it up where it can see the panel.

14. julianthegypsy Member

To be fair, my old esab displayed volts and amps and had a delay, but it wasn't very effective as it displayed the values as the arc broke, which were not the same as when running a bead. The propped up phone sounds far more effective!

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  15. tazmantic Member

Might be a silly question but why is the MB25 better? What is the difference

16. tazmantic Member

Now that is something I’ve never heard of “mixed arc transfer” think I need some google searches.....

17. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Standard torch will most likely be an MB15, the MB25 is uprated for more around 250A whereas the MB15 is around 180A, meaning better duty cycle and the neck not getting so hot.

julianthegypsy and tazmantic like this.
  18. Richard.

Richard. Member

Sorry that’s my rubbish terminology
    By mixed I mean globular and spattery. Never quite makes it into a nice spray.
    Common with pure co2

tazmantic likes this.
  19. mechman Member

What's the crack on migatronics these days? Don't hear much about them now.
    Norm.

Yamhon likes this.
  20. tazmantic Member

Ah ok tbh I’ve only ever used co2 for mig wether it’s been hobby kits or industrial so maybe I need to try argon mix and see what I’m missing

Advertisements