Quick Change tool post for an L5a

1. NickMc Member

Can you guys recommend a suitable quick change tool post for my Harrison L5a 11” lathe? Don’t mind playing the waiting game on something used- if they’re better quality.

Thanks,

Nick

2. m_c Member

The issue with used, is getting extra holders, unless you happen to get something common, or are willing to make them.

Personally, I've always fitted the QCTPs from Arc Euro Trade. There probably are cheaper options (there are certainly much more expensive options!), but the ease of getting additional holders is worth paying the bit extra for.

NickMc likes this.
  3. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Make sure you get the wedge type not the piston ones

NickMc likes this.
  4. NickMc Member

What size should I be looking at for my machine?

5. NickMc Member

What are you running on your Harrison John?

6. cheb Member

This may sound heretical but you might not need that many toolholders. If you don't use the lathe much then it's not much of a faff to swap the cutting tool in the holder and adjust it up to centre height.

If you have to pay £30 for a holder that's not a bad hourly rate if you take 5 minutes to swap the tool.

Confession: My late father was chief beancounter at Negretti and Zambra. One of the those office wallahs we are all supposed to hate.:whistle:

7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

In which, case why bother having one? The whole point is to make tool changes quick and easy. If you're spending time changing the tooling, save your money.

8. cheb Member

Because the screw adjustment is much quicker than shimming.

I think I've got 4, one cutting off and three normal ones. All I'm saying is the perceived wisdom that you need loads may be wrong in certain circumstances.

NickMc likes this.
  9. m_c Member

You'll need to do some measuring, and see what will work.

I've always opted for the 200 series, but on my Clarke 430 lathe, I had to skim a bit of the bottom of a couple holders for certain tools.

NickMc likes this.
  10. fizzy Member

uk
    Check it will fit your topslide!
    I bought 2 dickson s2 toolposts and holders for my Colchester Triumph lathe. I discovered that they used a different topslide for the 4 way toolpost!
    I am getting used to the 4 way now. It is far more rigid than a QCTP.
    Shimming tools is a bit of a faff but much easier now. For shims I use a roll of perforated steel strip and old metal sweet tins. Keep the shims with the tool when you get it set just right.

NickMc likes this.
  11. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

The tool post was given to me with a few tool holders
    I have a few Banggood holders that are fine
    Also made a few my self
    I have cut dove tails in big lathe tools and mount these directly to the post
    TP1.jpg TP2.jpg tp4.jpg
    I have a smaller tool post "kit " coming from Banggood to do a review on for my Super 7 lathe
    This is the wedge type as well

NickMc and fizzy like this.
  12. fizzy Member

uk

Sadly my top slide doesn't have a T slot - there is a huge solid post in the middle :mad:

13. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

tp5.jpg

NickMc likes this.
  14. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Could it be modified
    The QC holders are much easier to use
    Depends on how much lathe work you do

fizzy likes this.
  15. fizzy Member

uk
    It could but I don't want to destroy it. Making a new topslide will be a nice project for my shaper and surface grinder - one day!

There is one for sale on Ebay - only £500 :laughing:

16. martin62 Member

I am thinking of getting a Quick change tool post from Banggood for my Colchester Bantam. I am using 16mm tools and am trying to work out which one to get .

17. NickMc Member

Thanks John

I’ve seen the banggood ones and wondered what they’re like myself- I’ll keep an eye out for the video, I might only understand half of what you’re saying though lol :p:laughing:;)

doubleboost likes this.
Advertisements