Problem With MIG Wire

1. Davenlois

Davenlois Member

Picture this-- welding away building a welding bench top to cover my workmate(burnt through two already!). Anyway I ran out of wire. Using a Mighty Mig100 with 0.9 wire and having no problems. I only use this little guy outside as the fumes are horrendous but it's actually not too bad. Anyway I digress--was using Sealey wire and changed to a new roll of Sealy wire, exactly the same stuff as previous roll.
    It won't weld!!!! didn't change any settings ( there are so many:laughing:!!) its as though I'm using a MIG with no gas on, just big blobs, no adhesion, no weld pool, nuttin!
    Any ideas anyone because I'm foxed?

MOD - I've changed the title to something that actually refers to the content of the thread.

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I suspect it may be the case that hobby-orientated brands buy in wire and badge it themselves. The wire they buy depend more on price than quality. You could have got hold of a counterfeit roll or just a bad batch.

Are you sure the new wire is fluxed? Can you compare its diameter with the stuff you were using before?

3. Davenlois

Davenlois Member

Well it came in a Sealy box marked with the same specs as the previous roll but there has to be something amiss somewhere as it's obviously not the same stuff and the roll itself was unlabelled!. I can weld up 3mm angle iron without problems usually but this stuff won't even bite into the metal at all. So I've ordered a couple of rolls of Super 6, that usually welds OK.And, yes it is flux cored, that was the first thing I checked.
    I've used flux core wire feed welders for some time but this is the first time I've had this problem. Only just bought the Mighty Mig 100 after using an old flux core Miller welder I bought in Oz a few years ago. Should have brought it back with me!

4. normspanners Member

northwales
    Maybe the cold weather not letting the flux run out ?:whistle:
    Best go back to OZ and test it there :D

5. Davenlois

Davenlois Member

I mentioned this to the tech. help folk at Sealey. They agreed that sometimes a duff roll gets out! Anyway a new roll is on the way FOC. Customer service or what?!

6. Kent

Kent Member

its what their obligation is at the end of the day, any word on what they thought it might be?

7. Davenlois

Davenlois Member

I bought the MightyMig 100 from the bay of fleas as a package with 5 spare tips and a free roll of wire. It was the 'free roll' that was rubbish. It was packaged in the standard little Sealy box but the roll itself was unbranded. Anyway I digress, the roll I received FOC from Sealy bears no resemblance to the duff roll, the roll that was unusable looked like a flat wire rolled around the flux core whereas the pukka Sealy stuff is a duller wire ( as opposed to really shiny) with no discernible 'seam'. Anyway they say that occasionally a duff roll gets through!! Either way my welder now works as it should again and I'm a happy bunny.

8. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Dave there have been many similar tales much the same as yours. Obviously people can be on a tight budget and as such are reluctant to rush out and buy yet another roll when they have just loaded a new roll and it is welding crap. Fortunately for yourself you have had enough welding experence to know that the ONLY thing that changed was the roll of wire (even though should have been same!) If you were very very new to welding and lets say you bought a secondhand weldr that had wire loaded and worked great then you use up the roll so pop off to MM, Halfords, Screwfix etc get new roll, load and welding is now crap. Then you start twiddling with power + wire feed + +++ slippery slope. Hopefully you then find this forum......:clapping::clapping::clapping:.
    With the "NEW" roll that came with the welder was the box still sealed?
    Will be pointing new (and some not so) members to this post when they have similar issues :)

9. Davenlois

Davenlois Member

Yes, the box was sealed but the wire was just on a blank roll in a clear vac pac.The branded Sealy stuff that works OK was labelled up and came in a silver , more robust vac pac. It's all a little odd but not to worry, balance is restored and I don't have to use my MIG outside with the gas turned up so its blowing the ball out of the peashooter!!! By the way, everyone who has a MIG should get one of them, saves me a fortune! I can weld quite happily at about 4lm usually in my workshop.

10. Reg Moore New Member

Really interesting!!! I'm a newby to the forum and was unaware of the Sealey section, but I posted a similar problem in the mig forum. I was welding fine on the wire SUPPLIED with the MM 100 but things started to go belly-up half way down the roll. When the roll ran out I put on a new roll of Sealey 0.9 gasless and the problem got even worse. This afternoon I noticed that the wire was sloppy in the contact tip, a vernier showed the sealey wire to be 0.8 so I changed the Sealey tip to a 0.8 and the problem went away. The Sealey wire isn't great though, slag is really hard to remove so I've ordered a better wire. Hope this helps someone!!

Advertisements