Press using 10 ton ram and pump.

1. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

@slim_boy_fat
    As promised in another thread, Pictures of the simple press I made to take a 10T ram like you have. As I said, I turned and screwcut a holder for the ram

IMG_1981.JPG IMG_1982.JPG IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG .

Turbo, Hopefuldave, Beanwood and 4 others like this.
  2. rory1

rory1 Member

thats a good job, exactly the same design as my big press, you are putting the load on the threads in the ram the the plate and not in a weld (if the plate was on the top of the channels)

• IMG_694E45045EBF-1.jpeg
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@Ton-up That's brilliant!! Thanks for doing those. :hug:

I was looking to have it easily stored, so I've been scratching my head on how best to 'fix' the ram to the frame. I was thinking of having the top rail U section welded to the two uprights with the open end up, then drilling through to accommodate the ram after getting threaded holes done in 2 x flat, rectangular plate for either side of the top rail. Typically, overthinking things again......:doh:

Your round 'ram locator' looks very thick, I suspect the 'skip find' plate(s) I have are 5mm [like the U channel I bought] - does the Collective think that would be robust enough? :dontknow: Also, drilling for and cutting the 13 tpi thread will be problematical for me as I've not 'graduated' to screw cutting on the Myford yet......:ashamed:

Your design looks much better than mine, so I'll copy that - unless you have a Patent on it....:whistle: :D

Thanks again! :thumbup:

4. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

It's as thick as the threads on the ram. 5 mm will never be thick enough, you will deform the threads I'm afraid.

slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
  5. Turbo Member

Could you not find a spare screw-on end for your ram & use that? I'm guessing you're using one of the ram/pump units used in porta-power body straighteners & the ends are available to buy separately. One of my planned projects is a bearing press & I'm using the ram from my porta power & a spare screw on end.

6. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I vaguely remember a post on here about using a cheap Jack converted to work upside down. Maybe a cheap option instead of buying/modifications to a porta power?

7. chris pruteanu Member

To be honest its not really worth making one, by the time you buy the hydraulic pack, cut and weld the steel girders its quite a lot of faffing about. I would look for decent 2nd hand units or new chinese 10-20 tonne jobbies, some are decent and last a long time too... Good effort though...

pressbrake1 likes this.
  8. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 pre-moderated

essex england
    I’ve done it few times and spent too much a few times!
    But it’s a useful project to make if you want to make something.

9. slim_boy_fat

You mean the round, threaded bit? I suppose I could get a bit that's thicker (or weld 2x bits together).

That features in the plan too. :thumbup:

10. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Maybe not now, but I made this over 25 years ago when things were more expensive and I was on apprentice wages. You didn't get cheap Chinese made stuff on ebay!!

chris pruteanu and skotl like this.
  11. rory1

rory1 Member

Without doing any maths I’d say you’d need at least a 12mm plate for the cylinder mount

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

I'll have a hunt in the 'bits' bin tomorrow, I may just have something that thick.

There still remains the drilling and internal thread-cutting, both of which will be beyond me. :ashamed:

I'm more than happy to pay someone who can duplicate @Ton-up's ram securing setup for me?

Advertisements