Prescription safety glasses

1. We have gotta start wearing safety specs at work full time instead of just when using machines etc... Obviously it's a good thing but I wear specs. No way am I gonna wear goggles all day so does anyone have a recommendation for colleges that sells decent looking prescription safety specs that will go as high (low) as my prescription?
    I need -4.25 and -4.5.
    Most I can find only go as far as -4.
    Cheers folks.

2. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I've just asked my partner this as she works at an opticians and she seems to think you shouldn't have a problem, dependant on what frame you go for. My advice would be to go to the opticians and get them to help advice you. Your company will fit the bill I'm assuming?

Peloquin likes this.
  3. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Maker likes this.
  4. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

As above, I would get mine from the local optician and take the receipt into work to be paid.

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

This has been on my to do list for years. About time I got around to ordering a set. Any ideas on prices ?

James1979 likes this.
  6. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I've had a few pairs now, and different styles. If I rember rightly the first pair I bought cost me about 140, possibly more. Company now gives me a voucher for safety glasses.

7. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

That's not too bad. Pay more than that for my normal specs. Due a visit 6 months ago. I'll have a chat while in there.

8. landyman1

landyman1 Member

we too have to wear specs,provided free via work, scheme is bolle via boots opticians,however i find even with all the coatings they scratch really easily( 3rd pair in 18months)i also have some i paid for via specsavers (their ownbrand)these are proving to be far better.
    one thing to consider is the bolle ones offer poor peripheral vision so if your job involves driving etc they seem like you have tunnel vision.
    ps boots opticians locally are lacking on providing a good efficient service
    hope this helps

Peloquin likes this.
  9. mechman Member

A good few years back when I wore specs( Had me eyes done since then) I needed new lenses in my safety specs but didn't know that they don't just change lenses you have to buy new frames as well, another little expense.

10. daleyd

daleyd Member

I had a set made some years ago when I worked for Pilkington - my left eye is -4.5
    and right eye is -2.5.

They had to be glass (no plastic lenses) and jeez were they heavy!! I wore them twice and after that resorted to overspecs on top of my normal glasses, I just couldn't get on with them - it was like looking through the bottom of a jam jar! I don't know if you can get them with thinner and /or plastic lenses, if so I may be tempted to try another pair.

I wear contact lenses now - it's been a godsend for work as I can just use normal safety glasses.

11. I have worn contact lenses for 30 years but these last 12 months I have been leaching them out more and more as I need to see things close up and with levees I need to carry reading glasses around. I figured it was fair to simply lift normal specs up for close up work.

daleyd likes this.
  12. vmaximus Member

Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, U.K.
    We have to wear compulsory eye protection at work, , I chose to wear Bolle varifocals, eyes tested and glasses supplied from Boots opticians these are payed for by the company and I can only say that they are brilliant, equally as good if not better than my prescription glasses that I wear at home.

13. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Another vote for Boots they seem to have the best choice of frames

14. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    We've just had to start wearing safety glasses too.
    I'm OK as I only wear readers so just pop them over my safety specs when I need to but others have prescription ones, they pay £20 towards them and the company pays the rest.
    It's either that or they can have "standard issue" ones for free which ermmmm......well, let's just say I'm not vain but I wouldn't be seen dead in a pair. :laughing:

15. Rudi McAnichal Member

UK
    Try www.Spex4less.com and see whether they can supply your prescription. They offer quite a wide range, and are selling Norville S0071 prescription safety glasses (polycarbonate, impact resistant) for £77.95, whereas a local optician charged me £115 for the same thing just over two years ago.

16. piman Member

Hello Peloquin,

another recommendation to use your optician, my safety glasses were very reasonable, far less than my normal glasses as far as price goes.

Alec

Peloquin likes this.
  17. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

Your employer must pay for them. Many different schemes are available. Ranging from a set amount by way of a voucher through to get what you want

Bolle are good, it's what I use

James1979 and daleyd like this.
  18. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I could do with some proper prescription safety glasses as some sites I go on say it's compulsory to wear them and goggles won't work over my glasses, they steam up and rub on the lens so I won't wear them.
    I've got a -11 and -9 prescription so where can I get these?
    My glasses cost £380 last time round and I don't suppose my work will pay that sort of money for them!

19. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Cheers Fuzzy, those over specs still touch the lens on my glasses and my prescription is miles off the max/min cyl that the above company will go to.
    Even with the (very expensive) thin lens my glasses are still quite thick and the larger they are the thicker they get at the edges. I don't think anyone could make a pair of safety glasses that my nose could hold up!

Member 66062 likes this.
  20. Ruffian Member

I havent got safety specs as still found the to be awkward
    So managed to shape some bike sunglasses to my head shape and got them glased with clear lenses. Worked really well and have been wearing 5them for about 5 years full time now.
    Please excuse the cheesey photo. First one I found

• IMG-20200830-WA0002.jpeg
Advertisements