Powercraft Turbo 130 mig welder

1. SAC Member

berkshire
    New to this site so hi to all.

I have a problem and look for advice.

I have (for my sins) a powercraft 130 gasless mig welder which is no longer arcing. Wire feed is fine, fan working, earth lead etc all ok:(. Not knowing a great deal in how they work internally I was wondering if the problem maybe something fairly simiple which can be repaired. I believe this is a wolf product and the company has gone into receivership sometime ago so can get no support from the manufacturer.

If anyone knows of a repair company/person near the reading area I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Si,

2. BillJ Member

Devon
    I'm not familiar with that particular welder but two things in general often cause lack of welding voltage while everything else seems to work. Firstly, on some welders like the SIPs, the voltage selector switches can be stuck between selections. Try working those first. Secondly, there is a thermal cut-out switch that is intended to break the supply to the welding transformer when it gets too hot. If this fails, you will get no welding voltage and if there is an "overheat" warning light it will likely be illuminated.

Other than that, look for loose connections or anything obviously broken or hanging off. If there is a relay inside, check that it clicks when you press the trigger.

3. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Won't be the thermal cutout as that also cuts power to the wire feed.
    Moved to correct section. ;)

4. SAC Member

berkshire
    Hi thanks for your help. It has a thermal cut out switch but the warning light has not come on so I assume it is something wrong inside. I did take a quick look to check for loose connections but couldn't find anything obvious.

I'll take another look tonight and see if the relay is working.

Cheers.

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It's the Aldi special offer one with a 3 year warranty. Take it back if you can.

6. SAC Member

berkshire
    It was supplied by Aldi and still within it's warranty but as I no longer have the receipt they have refused to do anything. Will not be using Aldi or purchase a cheap welder again. Shame when it was working it wasn't too bad.

7. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

might be worth checking the relay that supplys power to the welding transformer sounds like it could be something simple

8. PTvor Member

UK
    Have you got a multimeter? If so you can start checking the contacts and the transformer windings out etc. I don't think the circuit of these machines very complicated and it should be possible to trace it out quickly.

9. SAC Member

berkshire
    Thanks for your help. I've taken the two side covers off and fuses are fine connections ok. Can also hear the relay clicking when trigger is applied. I have a multimeter. What should I check for through the windings, continuity?

10. GeorgeB pre-moderated

London, UK
    That seems grossly unfair on Aldi. It's entirely reasonable for them to request the receipt. Why didn't you keep the receipt? The 3 year warranty is super-generous and it's not asking much, for owners to retain proof of purchase. I expect the fault is something very simple which anyone with just basic knowledge of electronics would figure out in a few minutes. Professionals are likely to charge an arm and a leg, of course, if you take the machine to them.

11. SAC Member

berkshire
    I accept that if I can't provide a receipt they are unable to consider a claim under the warranty. At the end of the day they need to know whether its still within the warranty period. That's not the issue. They have no after-sales support. No way to obtain replacement parts or arrange a repair for a product which they supply. I offered to deliver the mig to the company who carry out the warranty repairs on Aldi's behalf and even pay for any parts/labour which maybe necessary. I was told Aldi do not offer such services. :dontknow: Hence my frustrations....

Shame the mig practically brand new.

12. PTvor Member

UK
    Continuity through the windings (they should have a definite low resistance),continuity through contacts, switches and wires. Then on the AC range, check the voltages on the transformer taps.

e.g. you can test the thermal trip. It should be closed until the transformer reaches a certain temperature (probably 70C).

It shouldn't be that hard to trace the circuit out completely.

13. GeorgeB pre-moderated

London, UK
    I hope you manage to figure out what's wrong with it. I expect it's something simple, with only a generic product or simple workaround needed, in order to bring the machine back to life.

When I bought mine, Wolf had already gone bust. Aldi assured me they would honour the warranty somehow but, of course, that depends on having the receipt. I don't doubt that the remedy would be a full refund, rather than a repair which I doubt if they are set up to arrange. I don't think it would be feasible to pay any professional to repair that welder, or almost any welder. If such skills are charged out, the prices are likely to be astronomic compared to the low, low price of the original MIG welder.

14. eddie49 Member

SAC, if you get stuck, I live in Berks too - Reading RG6 - and would be happy to give you a hand checking it out.

Advertisements