Powercraft 30-135 Amps - First use today - Cold lap on 10mm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curiousgeorge Member

Hi all,
    I briefly used a friend's Powercraft MIG Welder today. I don't know the model other than it states that it is '30-135 Amps', as in the pics below:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ylCae9MB4cnn8fXk6a1rHY7D6Z2yzxu4

Because my friend hadn't told me what make, model, etc of Welder it was, I took some steel up to try it on. I started on 10mm steel just to try it and found that it produced cold lap welds which, I assume, is because 10mm is far too much for this little thing to handle. However, on 3mm it did seem to produce just about a decent looking weld although I did struggle to get it sounding 'sweet' (my pathetic use of terminology here, apologies).

My questions -
    1. It would seem from reading some threads that these Welders are pretty crap, correct?
    2. Until I buy my own, what else can I do to 'make do' with this one. My knowledge of polarity is pretty poor, is there a chance that the polarity could be incorrect on this (desperately searching for a way to get it sounding right)
    3. What sort of cash should I be spending on a decent second hand MIG, and what sort of Amp range should it be able to produce to weld on, say, 10mm steel?

Thank you all.

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Cold lap with a 135a welder on 10mm steel.... does that surprise you?

1. They’re built down to a price.
    2. Use it on thinner stuff
    3. Depends on model and age. Something like 280a.

daleyd likes this.
  3. Curiousgeorge Member

Ha! No, it was foolish of me.

4. Curiousgeorge Member

I will....however, is polarity relevant on these?

5. eddie49 Member

Solid wire and gas: torch Positive, earth clamp Negative.
    Flux-cored ( "gasless" ) wire, no gas : torch Negative, earth clamp positive.
    There are probably links to swap over, in the wire-loading area; easy enough to confirm correct polarity with a voltmeter.
    On single phase, with a decent, reasonably-priced ( £200 - £300 ) s/h MIG, I don't think you could get anywhere near 10mm.
    Maybe 6mm... ( I've seen "40A per mm" as a guide ). For 10mm : a stick welder !

eLuSiVeMiTe and Curiousgeorge like this.
  6. Curiousgeorge Member

This was brilliant!! Thank you!!

7. daleyd

daleyd Member

Knowing what the capabilities of a machine are is kind of fundemantal to the whole process - if you don’t grasp this I’m struggling to see how you might be thinking of teaching the subject.

doubleboost, Farside and Wozzaaah like this.
  8. Curiousgeorge Member

You see, this is exactly the type of bloomin’ negativity that stops people asking questions on forums. Why would you choose to have the dig? Luckily I’m thick skinned and can handle put downs like this but many people leave forums because of comments like that.
    I had two choices - ask the naive question and risk the funny sods having a dig or don’t ask it and play it safe. I’ll always ask the question and won’t be bullied by the likes of you.
    Have a word with yourself, man!!
    Edit - you too Wozzaaah for ‘liking’ it. Dispicable!!

9. daleyd

daleyd Member

I’m not having a dig, but I’m genuinely bemused (curious, George) that in another thread you say you want to teach welding - I just can’t get my head around how you can want to do this without having a handle on what is fairly basic machine knowledge.

Fair play for asking the question, I wouldn’t knock anyone for that, but I can’t see how your going to be able to teach someone without knowing stuff like this.

eLuSiVeMiTe and Wozzaaah like this.
  10. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    It’s not a dig, it’s reality!
    How can you possibly be intending to teach people to weld when you ask such basic questions?? You told us you’ve been a welder for over 10 years but you come across as someone who doesn’t know one end of a welder from the other. :dontknow:

Paul. and daleyd like this.
  11. Curiousgeorge Member

Come on you two (meaning you too, Wozzaaah, with your last post), let's really go for it on this one - no hiding from it: My question - what was your aim / objective with this comment? Come on....don't veer off, don't comment on other things - answer this question.....I would love to know the answer....

12. daleyd

daleyd Member

Only to understand how someone who wants to teach welding doesn’t understand a very basic principle, nothing more.

No offence but if a driving instructor turned up and didn’t know how to start the car I’d be a bit miffed

pressbrake1 likes this.
  13. Curiousgeorge Member

Here we go again - explain the aim / objective you wanted when you posted this?

14. Curiousgeorge Member

Okay, so let's assume (correctly) that I don't understand a very basic principle - what is the decent response to it?
    A) Ridicule
    B) Accept that this guy has large gaps in his knowledge but by asking the question, he clearly wants to fill the gasp so help him with it.

Which one?

15. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    If you've been a professional welder for over 10 years how the heck can you not know that 130 amps isn't enough to weld 10mm steel?? :dontknow:
    Surely anyone in the game would have more than a little understanding about what sort of settings are needed for a certain thickness material?
    What sort of stuff have you been welding for the last ten years? What equipment do you use?

16. daleyd

daleyd Member

It’s not ridicule George but I’ll be honest that’s not a gap in your knowledge that’s something fundamental that is missing

Paul., eLuSiVeMiTe and Wozzaaah like this.
  17. Curiousgeorge Member

Remember when I asked you what your aim / objective was? Stop avoiding the question and respond accordingly. I really want to know....
    Come on, don't just send more insults and emojis, I've called you on this and I'm not going to let go.
    Answer my question.....

18. Curiousgeorge Member

Same goes for you, daleyd, call it whatever you want (and I'm not doubting you're correct), but don't keep on repeating your thoughts but in a different way, answer my question.....

19. Curiousgeorge Member

I'm quoting myself here because I've got you two on this and you should both be bloody embarrassed at how you have responded.
    I await your replies to my very specific question.....

20. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Ok il bite.

I see no ridicule. I see people genuinely curious about how a welder of 10years has such large and fundamental gaps in his knowledge.

I barely weld and a lot of the questions you have asked are basic stuff that either should be obvious or could be found out with a few strokes of the key into google.

You cannot teach what you neither know or understand. If your serious about welding tutoring I suggest you start doing some serious research and get as much time welding under your belt as possible and then look at some training.

You say they avoided your questions but you still haven't there questions either...
    4 odd months of threads. See a trend?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Advertisements
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.