Powder coat spray booth

1. Davek0974

Davek0974 Arse!, Drink!, Girls!

Started building a new booth for powder-coat, 1m x 1m x 1m

The four frames held on the front with clamps are doors, means i can save floor space when not in use and also keeps the dust and muck out of the booth.

Will be skinned with 0.9mm mild steel sheet when it arrives Monday.

A 24" filter panel to go top/rear, venting through side wall panel.

Need to add centre struts to top/bottom and top/bottom doors to support skins.

Its a self-assembly design or it won't go out the door when i need it to ;)

Coming along ;)

IMG_20190613_153220_resized_20190613_043121186.jpg

8ob, delta9, ukracer and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tom O Member

Interesting what are you going to be using for heat oven elements? Do you circulate the air?

3. Davek0974

No, this is a spray-booth not an oven :)

I already have an oven, just my existing coating booth is garbage, literally, its just four chipboard pallet tops and an old cooker hood ;)

4. Davek0974

Lighting?

I guess it will need something - looking at two 225mm square 18W recessed LED panels, in the roof skin at front edge??

Better than what i have now but enough?

The work area will be directly below the panels with one either side of centre.

5. AdrianH

AdrianH Forum Supporter

I have tried powder coating at home in the garage, you have my admiration if you are doing it commercially. I used a cardboard box with a plastic front panel, a side extractor vent going to a cyclone to help keep the dust down. I had a lot smaller home made oven so I could never do bigger then say 10 inches across.

It is good fun though. Wish you the best with your endeavours.

Adrian

Davek0974 likes this.
  6. Davek0974

Been doing it a while, larger stuff was sent out but they messed up an order and i thought it was time to do it all, biggest stuff is not that big, maybe 700 tall by 350 round.

Made the filter box today, bit tricky to see in the picture but is triangular and mounts up in the top/rear corner. Will hold a 24x20 panel filter when done.
    IMG_20190614_113922_resized_20190614_113949765.jpg

7. AdrianH

AdrianH Forum Supporter

Do you sand blast the product before powder coating? I used to try two things one was a vibratory tub for an hour or two, again just small stuff but i did use a bath of Hydrochloric acid before to remove all mill scale it also etched the surface and helped remove any sharp edges. As a last thing a quick wash in plain water and wipe down with acetone and the dry in the oven before applying powder coat. I did look at a chemical dip some sort of anodise coat before powder but the cost and heated tank put me off.

Adrian

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Davek0974

Nah, i key the surface with a DA sander then clean/coat. None of my metal has any mill-scale. The blast cabinet is for texturing some aluminium parts i make on the mill.

9. Davek0974

Got the frame drilled and fitted for the filter box - this is upside down on the bench ;)
    IMG_20190615_104830_resized_20190615_114405346.jpg

Now i need some ideas...

Imagine the bench is the front of the filter box so we're looking at it form the inside here...
    filter.jpg

I need a method to mount the filter panel on the front plate that is easy to remove for filter changing.

My first thought is to make a frame of 2" x 3/4" aluminium angle that will surround the filter and then some method of holding the filter into the frame - the suction should pull it back in so i guess a couple of small clips maybe??

stuvy likes this.
  10. Davek0974

Filter support panel...

Open square hole or grid of round holes????
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 13.07.46.png

Not sure if these panel filters need support behind them?

11. stuvy Member

Only if your fan is pulling like a train and you can stick a brace behind it really easily

12. Davek0974

Ok, i'' go with the plain cut-out opening ;)

I have a feeling the fan will be too strong but need to test it out, its a cap-start 750W motor and i don't think they can be speed controlled ?

13. stuvy Member

No idea on speed controllers but you could always put an x front and rear to stop the filter deforming

14. Alf98

Alf98 “I don’t know what I’m doing”

If your making the filter front withdrawal you can buy these clips, think there called pig tail clips. Otherwise just make a metal surround with 50mm headers and a removable edge

Or get some sturdy wire and go corner to corner on the casing on the rear of the panel. This will also stop the filter from pulling through

15. Davek0974

Yeah, i might just bung in a vertical support behind to resist it sucking in when loaded.

16. Davek0974

Any idea on what they look like - a search for pigtail clips just brings up hair-grips. :)

17. Alf98

18. Alf98

Sure they’ll be cheaper else where though

19. Davek0974

20. Davek0974

Thinking more on it - it only needs to hold the filter panel in place when turned off, suction will pull it in when on so the clips can be very light indeed - a simple spring across each corner or something like that.

Advertisements