Powcon the legend

1. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

How about a register for Powcon machines this is the daddy of invertors way before any one dreamt it was possible no joy of welding without them one of the best smothest noisiest arcs ever
    Does any one have a stash of spares or have rhe ability to repair boards lets keep them living

2. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I suspect Carbon is the man to ask.:D

3. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have a Powcon 3 phase 375 amp. I tried to sell it but nobody seemed interested - glad I didn't! Bought it in an auction with other stuff - didn't know anything about them.
    I just need to learn to stick weld now...........

4. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

They are the best of the best.. do well on scratch tig too
    Every movement of the hand is accompanied by a different tune they are so vocal and make a tick tick tick noise like a metroknome
    Sold the patents to kempp.i

Yamhon and fizzy like this.
  5. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I thought the ticking was a fault lol............

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  6. carbon

carbon Member

Sadly haven't really had any issues with the one I've had for possibly 18 years. Only thing that's gone wrong is one off the incoming mains filter caps dried out and puffed up a bit. But still welded ok but didn't smell good. Replaced all three. Think it does pay to dismantle them occasionally and blow the Jabberwocky out, surprising how much dust collects inside

7. carbon

carbon Member

Philpott and cowling I believe can repair them. Not sure if they hold many spares as never needed to find out

fizzy likes this.
  8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

No thats a good sign different note on high and low range too

fizzy likes this.
  9. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

I have 2 x 300ss units both very little use .you can tell the ones thats had a hard life as the case gets worn away underneath
    I replaced like you a cap on the input board on one
    The other one literaly stopped working overnight cant see any thing burnt out or loose conections
    I was fortunate to meet a sparky
    Who was working on one and he fixed me up with a plug for the remote and pin orientation
    He explained the fan motor windings is also a supply transformer for the control side
    I know of another model that has cv output too
    Any way one still alive and squeelin
    Welds and sounds like a lincoln bullet superb
    The early kemppis sing the same tune

10. carbon

carbon Member

Ticking is rectifier coming on to create an open circuit voltage for arc.

Also believe that they are dual voltage and can be used on single phase with reduced output by swapping position of links inside.

The one I have 300sm is either constant voltage or constant current depending on what mode its in.

Don't use mine on arc much, usually have it either attached to a powcon power drive II or a spool gun for aluminium welding. Really like the good duty cycle that they have

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    zeppelin builder and fizzy like this.
  11. carbon

carbon Member

Manuals can be still found online Powcon Manuals.

Also seems that there are two uk distributors for the newer versions

fizzy likes this.
  12. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I can't find the model number on mine
    This is it
    20170810_181136.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. carbon

carbon Member

Just going by the front panel controls from the manuals I'd say that's a 300SS, but the model is shown on the front panel slightly obscured by the added on grill

300ss.jpg

slim_boy_fat and fizzy like this.
  14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Ahh well done - you see so much more from a photo!
    Nice to have the manual for it.
    I tried to remove that grill but the screws just keep turning. The machine looks quite good but the grill is rusted to hell.
    I really need to find time to start practicing with it - only used it 3 times!

15. carbon

carbon Member

Thanks @Maker but I expect there are more people that know a lot more about these welders than I do. Hadn't heard of them until I bought one second hand but its been a very reliable unit. @fizzy believe I have seen that welder advertised somewhere as I do tend to look out for powcon welders and parts. Never now if somethings going to happen to mine

16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I did advertise it once - could even have been on this site? Don't know if I would sell it now though but give me a shout if yours ever goes pop.

17. carbon

carbon Member

Unfortunately as I mostly use mine for mig I'm looking for another 300SM rather than a 300SS as the SM can be attached to a wire feeder where the SS cant, but thanks for the offer

fizzy likes this.
  18. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Just because yours has more knobs than mine..............

slim_boy_fat and carbon like this.
  19. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

Heres my one that works it had a blow out and a lick of smootherite nice quality remote plug too 20170811_123619.jpg 20170811_123619.jpg 20170811_123459.jpg 20170811_123428.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. Matthew Gunter

Matthew Gunter New Member

Hi. Sorry for dragging up such an old thread but i’ve just dug out the Powcon 300SM to set up for ali mig welding. Was getting it all set up and then answered the phone and during the call noticed an off smell...turned to see smoke billowing out the vents on the 300 however, having opened it up i can see that the culprits are three caps on a board right at the top. Are these the caps you were on about in this post? Image at the top for reference.

Thanks! 4EFCCBF9-5862-4842-B224-CB514C052F0C.jpeg

Advertisements