Portable swivel head bandsaws

1. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I currently have three saws, a Makita portaband, a dewalt tct saw and a small hss cold saw...

None of them do what I want, well enough for me to consider keeping them. I’m looking at getting a bandsaw... I want something that is compact and portable that can Be put in the car easily if required so I started looking online.

Does anyone have experience of either the cheap Chinese one from amadeal, or the more expensive and almost certainly better ones from The Italian manufacturer Femi?

@KimB I think you have a saw like this if my memory serves correctly.

2. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

I have the FEMI 784XL and love it; the reviews and positive feedback from @KimB were one of the reasons I invested in it - not sure whether she has exactly the same model. They don't spit shards at you like my wee Evolution with TCT blade does and no coolant keeps everything nice and clean. I will admit that other (types of) saws may be quicker.

3. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Which Makita do you have?
    I was thinking of getting one - I have a horizontal bandsaw and my lovely vertical but often it is easier to take the saw to the work - especially on long heavy sections.

4. HughF

HughF Member

I have the 2107, in 110v. It is a very capable saw but an accurate production tool it is not...

I use it for unistrut/threaded rod etc.

5. highseas Member

while not really a portable i have a old warco dry cutting saw that will often get chucked in the van and took to a jobsite..its a bit slow on big stuff but the ability to stack 10 bits of steel in at set it off and go do something else is priceless...i can do a job and have the next jobs cutting list cutting while i do it (when the children are old enught that will be their job!) it has the ability to cut angles (i wont say its miter cutting)

after using it soo much the thought of using the abrasive saw is just a no go.
    not very helpful to you but just saying a good bandsaw is a joy to behold

6. HughF

HughF Member

I've got a small hss cold saw which is very accurate, but has the following annoyances:

I can barely lift it
    It's noisy as hell
    It takes a weird sized blade
    It doesn't auto cut

7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
  8. HughF

HughF Member

That's all interesting reading, thanks folks...

9. optima21 Forum Supporter

10. HughF

HughF Member

I've found those on eBay, that looks good for the money. I might grab one of those.

The other contender is the Axminster model engineer saw, but it does require floor space and you wouldn't want to put it in the back of your car.

optima21 likes this.
  11. earthman Member

I've been using an Amadeal lathe for years now, can't complain really, for the money it's OK. I never knew that they did bandsaws too, I could do with a small vertical one myself.

12. gaz1

gaz1 Member

13. lchris21

lchris21 Member

gaz1 likes this.
  14. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Same as the Aldi one - with the same vice. Forces work the wrong way through it and it soon stops holding. I though I had it sussed, but mine now has a length of 5/8 UNC all-thread running though a nut I've mounted in place of the existing clamp bar - positive and secure hold now. Otherwise works well, straight and true.

15. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hi Hugh,
    I've got one, too - dunno if it was in the garage when you called in a few weeks back.
    Quite like mine - but haven't tweaked it for perfect squareness as of yet, as it's been close enough for me.
    (And I might just screw it up if I messed about with anything!)

Dazza has one too - it's in this thread!

All the Best,
    CJ

Advertisements