Porosity hit list ?

1. RTFM

RTFM New Member

I’ve had an intermittent weld porosity on both flat and horizontal welds.
    What’s the normal check list for correcting it ?
    A few have been torch angle and one was definitely the tip and nozzle need a clean but I’ve corrected these.
    The picture is a three inch weld starting between tacks and finishing on a previous weld. Area was cleaned to bright before hand and was done after a good weld on the opposite side of identical nature.

• 0B6DC279-26B0-4DD7-8082-6EB1BD51661E.jpeg
  2. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Its a gas issue, either a fault in the gas supply lines / regulator or torch somewhere or a draught blowing the gas away,

stuvy, gordon stephenson and mtt.tr like this.
  3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Any wind getting you?
    Id look down gas related issues.

RTFM likes this.
  4. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Get yourself a peashooter flowmeter, then to use it pop the wire feed tensioner open to stop it feeding wire, put the flowmeter on the torch nozzle press the trigger and using the regulator set it to a steady 10 or 11 lpm, run it for 10 seconds or so to make sure that the reg is steady.

https://www.weldequip.com/gas-flow-tester.htm

stuvy, Wany and mtt.tr like this.
  5. RTFM

RTFM New Member

Ahhh think I may have had the gas too low at 8 on the regulator with trigger held aaaaaand when I checked everything the hose had worked off slightly and hissed when I moved the bottle ! So both may have been playing a part in it.

I’ve put the flow checker on the list for the next order.

Are the gas bottles as good as they sound from weld equip? I live in the middle of know where and I can only get the BOC or small hobby bottles for twice the price and half as much.

Advertisements