por15 and waxoyl 13 yrs on.

1. johnser

johnser Member

I took my old beetle out of hibernation this weekend. Thought some might be interested to see how the paint/coatings have held up.

Restored(ish) in 2007(ish) used as my only car for ~6yrs then stored in a fairly dry garage since 2014. When used, it did lots of long journeys but never a commute and I used to wash underneath regularly, especially if the roads were salty. Stored inside and out.

Chassis and floorpans were sandblasted (not perfect but no loose rust remaining) por15'd and waxoyled. Body, under wings etc, similar but no sandblasting, just cleaned and prepped metal and keyed original paint.

Areas prepped we'll have held up well;
    IMG_20200405_125033.jpg IMG_20200405_124825.jpg IMG_20200405_124855.jpg IMG_20200405_124744.jpg

Areas I didn't really bother prepping, like the wings, which I got s/h, a bit ropey and really cheap so considered them disposable, are bubbling up through
    IMG_20200405_124803.jpg IMG_20200405_125001.jpg

Some of the stone chips on the outside are blistering a bit. I used to wipe wax over these bits but didn't when in storage.
    IMG_20200405_125046.jpg
    Areas I totally ignored but liberally sprayed with wax inside and outside, like this door hinge, have deteriorated.
    IMG_20200405_125108.jpg

Por15 was "the thing" when I did it and, despite some stories of woe, I'm pleased it's held up well for me. I can say how much the ~annual waxoyling when on the road helped or was a waste of time but I suspect it was a bonus in higher impact areas.

Am not surprised the crusty bits are more crusty.

Hopefully I'll get some brake fluid next week and some insurance it'll be back on the road!

2. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

It's done well, I'm just looking at doing my truck before any rust sets in

johnser likes this.
  3. zx9

zx9 Member

I think it has done well, one I did for a mate back in late 80's was a lot worse underneath, since then I have had no inclination to go near one again so not a fan of them.

johnser likes this.
  4. johnser

johnser Member

Yea, that resto was a trial. I'm not likely to attempt anything else 4wheeled again soon, let alone a beetle.
    Was interesting for me to see how it had fared, particularly after being parked for a bit.

If there's anything to take away from it, it's that prep is key.

zx9 likes this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I've read varying reports about POR15 [some on here iirc correctly] - I have a tin in the shed which I must get round to using one of these days...:ashamed:

fizzy likes this.
Advertisements