Plug Welding

1. nomininolife Member

Sheffield UK
    I have read the article about plug welding and found it informative. Now the only problem I seem to have is the hole size, the flange I want to weld is 10mm wide. So I feel that a hole 7.5mm in diameter would be too great.

Would 7.5mm be ok or what dameter hole would you recommend?

I am welding an inner sill to a step sill on a mini so the steel is not that thick.

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Welcome to the forum.

It should be possible to go down to about 6.5mm without too many problems. Generally a smaller hole will make it easier to arc against the side of the hole rather than the metal behind, and will fill up more quickly so you might need to turn the welder up a little to put more heat in.

Have a practice with some spare bits of metal - if you can get a weld pool building up before you arc on the edge of the hole then you should be OK.

3. nomininolife Member

Sheffield UK
    Thanks Malcolm

The welder I have is a basic no-gas welder with 2 power settings (spit-spit or blow through), am I best on high setting?

The welder is a clarke 85en

Thankyou :D

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Probably you'll have the best chance on the high setting - the double thickness of metal will act as a heat sink, and you won't be putting heat in for very long when you do the plug weld. Especially with the smaller holes.

Definately worth trying some practice plug welds on scrap and test them to make sure you are happy with the welds before trusting the mini sills to them.

5. nomininolife Member

Sheffield UK
    Thankou for the advise :D

Advertisements