Please judge me!

1. thomas Barfield New Member

43D8ACFD-CF49-4496-9A01-867E8FF1EDD8.jpeg DF15A7F6-FC60-475C-9054-6613D1497671.jpeg [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my first real attempt at using a mig welder. As you can see I forgot to turn the gas on at first as I’m so used to using my cheap old arc welder. The straightest bead has some brown inclusions in it, I think because I didn’t clean the metal well enough. By looking at the back I can see the weld pool has penetrated the base metal. How did I do?

2. Once the gas was on, it looks OK from the top, but it would be interesting to see the back. I would say that you need a bit more Voltage and a slightly faster travel to get the bead height down.

3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

if your swapping over from arc to mig like i was it was handy for you

nice welds there the last one was spot on

follow above suggestion to lower your bead height

Parm likes this.
  4. thomas Barfield New Member

Thanks I will give it a try. Initially when I tested the welder at the sellers house the beads were really tall as I think I was going too fast. Interesting that I may now need more juice and to slow down!

The only thing I’m finding with Mig is that if I change one variable I’ve got to think about the other too - wire speed!
    Sure I will get there!

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

this should help you out

as a clarke 151 guide

to note i weld with the 150 and im welding 5mm via the 13 amp plug no problem other than forgetting its trip out when in use

this is how i see it as reference points for clarke 150/151

done by sheet steel thickness

1 Min 0.8 sheet
    A 2 Min 1/2mm
    A 3 Min 2mm/3mm

1 Max 2mm/3mm
    A 2 Max 4mm
    A 3 Max 5mm

then adjust your wire speed to suit i set mine around 4/5 and adjust from there on any sheet thickness

Advertisements