Please critique my welds

1. jps Member

Colchester, Essex
    I've done a bit of 'sticking things together' for a while now - but have never been happy with the tidy-ness of what i'm doing. So i'm trying to start from scratch and get a lot of basic practice in.

My welder is a Sealey Supermig180 - i'm using 0.8 wire and Hobbyweld 15. I'm trying to keep the wire very close and at 90degrees to the surface I want to weld - then pushing the weld, with the gun slightly angled back

If more experienced welders can give some feedback on why I have the results I do it would be much appreciated!

I've started today with some 3mm plate - welding 'straight' beads onto a bit of scrap. The pitted blobs were not todays effort. Here's the first set of runs.
    [​IMG]

Side on
    [​IMG]

And the back
    [​IMG]

This was all on power setting 4 of 6 and fairly slow wire speed (about 3.5 out of 10).

Then I upped the power to 5, and the wire speed to about 4. These were noticeably hotter - the metal all glowing bright red immediately after the weld was laid (heat built up in the plate too!)
    [​IMG]

And the back
    [​IMG]

Then I went down to 2mm box - my main aim being to learn how to weld round and square tubing together. I tried some straight runs first and found i had to drop the power to 1 out of 6 and reduce the wire speed.

First I tacked up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I tried to weld in 4 passes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!
    John

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

there not too bad but up your power, move a little faster along the metal

the reason why you have good welds is because your staying in the area too long but leaving alot of weld in its place

to ease this off is to move along the piece of steel this will stop alot of weld material building up

steveo3002 likes this.
  3. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    For going round corners it helps if you start off less comfortable and progress into a comfortable position.

anto, Climber and skotl like this.
  4. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    They're such small seams that you barely have time to get used to the welding arc/puddle, before it's finished. You need to weld some 4"+ seams so you can get used to the actual welding process, not just pointing and squirting.

Settings look ok, just need practice :)

Richiew likes this.
  5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

when tacking i use more power for short periods that way you not got a blob to weld over and keeps your weld profile looking good

at the end of the day you can dress welds penatration and strong is what you want get that right then worry how it looks pleaseing to the eye

Advertisements