Pillar drill,from floor to bench,your opinions

1. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Right heres the plan/idea
    I have a floor standing pillar drill,its a rexon RDM-80F
    Same as this
    https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...-goods-collectables-tools-and-equipme-lot-31/

Had it quite a while now(10yrs +/-) and its been a good servant,but,i have dead space underneath,to which i could do with using.
    See the thing is i cant even remember if i've ever had to drop the table to its lowest point,maybe i did once but even then had to be a one off,so no point it being there
    So my idea/plan is to cut the main column to a size where i can mount it on top of say a metal cabinet thus giving me somewhere to store more rubbish etc:laughing:
    You might ask why not sell it and buy a new bench one,well to be honest what this has speed wise and with a morse taper spindle,good motor etc,and tbh whats on offer is either garbage,to much money,3 phase,or i have to travel millions of miles to collect
    I think it could be done,my only concern would be the column support at the bottom
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/495242/Craftsman-Rexon-137-229171.html?page=8#manual
    I of course need this to be lower as to get max drop for the table,but also to be danm secure
    Everything else looking at it seems pretty simple,yes/no:dontknow:
    Ok,so,whats your opinions:confused:

2. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

can you not shorten the bottom mount, less load on it with a shorter post, you could probably half it, will be over engineered as it is,

Morrisman likes this.
  3. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Do you mean the column support? If so yes i suppose you can but i'm wondering if its the same dia all the way through as it looks as it tapers out,something i need to check

4. jordhandson Member

Id build a cabinet round the column

bigegg, Hopefuldave, zx9 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Build a cabinet that has a raised base on wheels and fit it below the drill table. If you then need the reach of the floor drill just wheel the cabinet out of the way.

Gragson, Arc Tourist, bigegg and 6 others like this.
  6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Beat me to it again.
    No point trashing the lower pillar when this does the same job

Hopefuldave and Hood like this.
  7. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    :thumbup:
    But one was also thinking,where its homed at the moment i do have restrictions ie if theres something long i need holes in left and right of it is a bit short,if on a wheeled cabinet i could move it out towards me etc

8. cheb Forum Supporter

I mounted my full height Meddings on a bench. I dropped the drill head down the column and left the rest poking out of the top.

fizzy, Turbo and northwest like this.
  9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Not everyone has 20ft ceilings :D

10. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    And climbing up steps to change belts is a pain also

11. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Or trade i have a lovely bench standing machine but would rather a floor standing machine.

12. On a different note, the chaps who moved in to share some of our workshop space, went to Machine Mart to kit out their space. They bought a piddly arc welder, an astmatic compressor, a gutless mig, powerless grinder and a pillar drill that is the worst thing I've ever seen. The stuff has no chance of sustaining what they need to do. I did warn about what they were buying. We needed a mill and a honing machine and bought XYZ1500 and Sunnen secondhand and they're perfect. Quality wins.

13. Oh, and the vice they bought, snapped like a biscuit across the casting the first time they used it!

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  14. jordan1 Member

Don't cut it, work around it IMO.:)

15. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

i have a meddings pacera mb that i would be willing to do a straight swap.

shame about the distance...

16. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Yer,dont i know it:(

bigegg likes this.
  17. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I'd almost put money on inside a week of cutting it down there's one of those "if only it's go on the pillar drill" jobs that you'd end up drilling off-centre with the Black and Decker...

Dave H. (the other one)

eLuSiVeMiTe, bigegg and Shedendman like this.
  18. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I'm 57,i've had years of if onlys:laughing:

slim_boy_fat and bigegg like this.
  19. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    I've got one of these, though mines marketed by Sealey as a Premier 16sp something or other. It comes in two versions, pillar and bench The only thing that is different about them is the lenght of the pillar and the pillar attachment at the bottom., The base is the same as yours. So why dont you just buy a bench piller and base attachment from sealey and mod yours.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637193376/pillar-drill-bench-16-speed-1050mm-height-230v

You might need a new rack as well.

Shedendman likes this.
  20. MetalMonkey Member

Be a shame to cut it if you can work round it - floor standing is always more versatile – however long you make the column you will always get that one job that needs half inch more daylight.

mtt.tr and Hopefuldave like this.
Advertisements