Petwash Tub...

1. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Hi folks,

Having seen a couple of my projects, a guy at work as asked me about fabricating a petwash tub. He wants it done in stainless as it's gonna see a lot of water.
    I'd never heard of such a thing so I decided to look into it.

So I was hoping for a few pointers if anyone can help. I was going stick weld it, so as no need to change the gas/filler wire etc on the mig. I've got a few 2mm plates and 309L rods from the workshop near where I work to practice on. Would 2mm stainless sheet be suitable? Or could I go thinner? Don't want to go too thin for fear of blowing through...

As I'm learning as I go I won't be charging him much more than materials, but I might build another one for my young fellas cockers if it works out

Thanks

2. knighty Forum Supporter

without being too cheeky... I'd tell him to buy one, they're not that dear

there's a lot of work in it
    needs a drain and tilt towards drain
    needs to be pretty strong so doesn't flex when it's full of water
    you need to double over all the edges so it's not sharp (or weld in some stainless pipe)

3. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

Just priced the stainless sheet; €204 + vat .....it would need one and half 8x4' sheets for what he's after...

4. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

I don't mind the work, but I've only ever seen them on us sites at upwards of $1500...

5. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

.... I think he'll baulk at the price...

6. maz0

maz0 Forum Supporter

Galvanised trough, farmers use them for dipping sheep and whatnot, 50 quid.

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

tell him to buy one if its for business :)he can claim expenses .unless your set up with fabricating gear its not worth the trouble

8. hotponyshoes Member

I made one for my better half, they were starting from £800 to buy and I reckon mine came in about half that.
    I can post some photos when I get home if you want

Myles1970 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Myles1970

Myles1970 Member

That'd be great thanks

10. hotponyshoes Member

20191130_112555.jpg

This is the one I made for my other half (well, for my other half to wash dogs in)

It's in 3 parts, the base is 40x20mm tube with some corners for the main tub to drop in to. There are 2 rails running under the main bit for support. The feet are machine feet and sit into some threaded inserts in the tube.

The main tub is 3mm, its bigger than it looks in that photo, I can get a tape on it if you like but I think it was the full width of a 1.25m sheet.
    The long edges were folded with the edge returns first then it was folded up into a U shape. The ends had the edge returns put on then got tig welded in.
    The door frame was tacked in place then the hole cut out and welded in, frame is same box section as the base.

The splash back is 2mm, returns folded on top and bottom edges then the back and 2 sides welded together, the returns on the front edges were folded separately and welded on after. A spare length of return was folded and chopped up to fill in all the gaps in the corners and a bigger bit welded to the top of the door so it just drops on. The splash back is bolted between the bottom return on the splashback through the upper returns on the main tub.
    I was planning to bolt the main tub to the stand via some tabs welded on but once I felt the finished weight of it there was no need.

The drain was sourced as a spare part for a commercial kitchen sink and has a removable insert that acts as a handy hair trap. Hole was plasma cut and die grinder to tidy up, it came with seakjng washer so just dropped in and threaded ring in the underside, the rubber mat was originally 3mm but reacted to the warm water so some expensive thicker stuff was used and has been fine since. It's just placed in the bottom.
    Adhesive neoprene foam seal around the door, there is a good overlap on the door so it's not really needed to stop water but it does stop rattling. It has lasted a lot better than I expected
    Dogs dont like standing on a sloping surface so it's set up only maybe 1-2mm lower (using the feet) on the drain end.

I have made 2 of these, the second was for a vets so had to remove any dirt traps and make it easy to wipe. Much the same except I moved the drain toward one corner and made the hole bigger so I could weld it in flush (slightly recessed into) with the base, again, same feet and only a couple of mm drop towards the drain. I had fitted some handles (stainless drawer pulls) to the top of the door on the first one but they didn't get used as the door is easy enough to lift on the return so these were left off on the second version and some of the foam tucked in under the return.
    I found a suitable rubber trim from a kit car suppliers and fitted it between the base and the tub and the tub and the splashback.
    If I was confident it would never need to be moved again I would just weld all 3 sections together to loose any gaps.
    There is also a m6 stud fitted to both for an earth lead.
    First one just had the welds run over with a scotch disc in a grinder. I electropolished the second and shot blasted a logo onto the front of it.

If I was making another I think 2mm sheet for the main tub and 1.5 for the splash back would be fine. If I didn't have access to the press for folding then some 10mm round bar or something run around all the edges would work but would mean a lot of welding.
    You might even be able to go thinner than 2mm if you altered the stand slightly for a sheet of thick marine ply or something for it to sit on, you could probably weld some angle across the sides and back to stiffen up or even press some stiffening ribs in if you have access to the kit to do it?

One thing I would like to do which you might be able to do with thinner sheet is press a recess into the base for the drain to sit into, the welded version I dropped down in works well but was a bit tricky to weld the 0.6 or so into the 3mm. The version where its standing up works ok though and is fine unless it's in a clinical setting.

I was planning to make another one to sell on but never got around to it so i still have a set of feet and inserts and a drain insert here somewhere.
    You might want to price the sheet up first as now I have had another look at it I might have been out with my £400 in the last post.
    I think I used a sheet of 2.5mx1.25m 3mm and another of 2mm plus nearly 2 lengths of the box to make 2 baths, plus odd bits of sheet I had already for the corners on the stands and the extra bits to fill in the corners. I think the feet and drains were 40 quid each and the rubber mat worked out about he same but I have a supplier locally that does roll ends saving me having to buy a whole roll of it.
    20191130_112649.jpg 20191130_112732.jpg 20191130_112613.jpg

Myles1970, slim_boy_fat and garethp like this.
Advertisements