Petrol hedge trimmer advice

1. vw1

vw1 Member

Hi all . I do the occasional hedge cutting conifers etc. I have had the cheap £30-40 brands but don't last long and I always managed to cut through the cable.

I would like a petrol hedge cutter questions is not sure what one. I have around £150 spend . It won't be used on a day to day basis.

Advice and input would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Ruffian Member

I know it's not what you asked for but the cordless ones are also worth looking at if you have cordless gear already.

I run dewalt and bought the hedge trimmer and works well. It doesn't have the umph of a petrol one but then is a lot quieter and easier to use for prolonged times.

3. vw1

vw1 Member

I only have DeWalt drills but only on lithium 2ah battery's

4. grim_d

grim_d Member

You can get a McCulloch superlite in your budget, it's a rebranded husqvarna 122hd45 without the swivel handle.

This one appears to be a display model? They also have a brand new one for £150.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223153870104

I have a husqvarna 122hd60 which is a bit outside your budget but it's excellent, very light and lots of grunt. The 45 and superlite are the same just with shorter blades.

Just remember the ethanol in our fuel rots fuel lines and primer bulbs so either use ethanol free fuel or be prepared to change some fuel lines in the future.

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Or drain the tank and run the carb dry after each use. Personally I use Aspen2 as a low volume user.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

never used Aspen2 as a fuel, use mine machine to much but def store over the winter with it....
    no ethenol free fuel in France.....
    I only buy Japanese now.....Echo brand, €300,.... even after winter lay off second pull start....thats important to me as I have Athritis in me arms...

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  7. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    I use a Hitachi one with 1.5Ah batteries - I have two batteries and easily does my hedges - maybe 100yds of hawthorn for both sides

8. MoreWellie Member

it all depends on just how "occasional hedge cutting conifers" is

if, like me, its maybe twice a year then, then despite the cable cutting I prefer to stick with mains hedge cutters and the main reason is starting the blooming 2 stroke ones after they have sat for a while. I totally understand that emptying the fuel is a good thing across the winter but it just never seems to get done

My current 5 year old 700w Bosch cost £150 (after the last foray to the dark side of 2 stroke) has loads of grunt and can cut 1 inch branches close to the guard

so I have a knot in the cable with a tape covered chocolate block as its only me that uses it for personal stuff then I can live with that

9. premmington

premmington Member

10. JonE Forum Supporter

I have a Ryobi petrol one, about 10 years old. Was cheap at the time, but I regret it each time I have to use it. Is a pig to start, heavy, and the vibration makes my hands go numb in short order..

stuvy likes this.
  11. stuvy Member

Have a maculloch for my parents

Had it since I was 15 and did hedges in the village to get some money in as a kid

Iv used a stihl but it was a single sided blade and a nuisance

12. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I have a petrol hedge trimmer & a Bosch Lion battery one. I’ve never used the petrol one since I bought the battery one. It’s lighter, cuts better & just altogether easier. When I bought it, I spoke to the guy in the garden tool place & he said when he tried it, it was the equal of the petrol ones, but I found it really good. My son bought one as well after trying it, somehow my daughter in law managed to trap her fingers in the blade, nearly taking them off ...... but that wasn’t the tools fault, operator error! I’ve since bought the version with the extending handle as well. They cut leylandi back with ease.

If you were local I would say I’ve got a petrol one going spare for beer money

Migmac likes this.
  13. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I have a Stihl HS45 and it eats stuff, you do have to be careful if you are near fences as it chops the wire no problem. I've had it probably 14 years. They are about £50 more than your budget new but can be bought for sensible money used on ebay.

Rig Pig likes this.
  14. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

+1 for Stihl kit, quality gear.

15. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

• Bought a very cheap black and decker years back. Still going strong and I've hacked though inch or more branches. Would much rather have a nice stihl double sided trimmer but for the ne weekend a year it gets used its not worth it.
    • Have a dewalt 18v strimmer and its top notch.
    • Excuse the bullet points. Fat fingers

stuvy likes this.
  16. eLuSiVeMiTe

Yup. Worked as a landscape Gardner/assistant tree surgeon with my old man for years. Chainsaws hendgecutters disk cutters strimmers all stihl. He's probably still using them now.

stuvy likes this.
  17. vw1

vw1 Member

I have used Stihl but it's way out my price range. When I say it will get used a few times a year thats it literally .
    Not sure I like the bother of the petrol pull start on the £150 budget probably end up with rubbish.

Still not 100% convinced on the battery operated ones.

18. eLuSiVeMiTe

Dewalt strimmer I have is as good as ice. may well grab one of there hedgecutters in the future.
    Unless they have changed the way they secure the bar to the body the chainsaws a no go for me though.

19. Robbie260 Member

Try facebook market place sometimes people stick good brand stuff on there for chips as they dont have a clue what its worth.

20. CompoSimmonite Member

I got rid of my petrol hedgecutter and bought a decent electric. Haven't looked back - lighter, more powerful, instant use without having to mix two stroke / endless pulling of starting cord etc.

Cobbler likes this.
Advertisements