Petrol Compressor

1. V6BOY Member

2. AdrianH

AdrianH Forum Supporter

I have one a 100 litre unit and I use it with my plasma cutter. There are a few things I have done: Replaced the drain in the bottom for a tap, basically the thing was poorly threaded there is an insert that comes out and I fitted a 1/4 gas tap, (I think) there is a thread on here some where. I changed the stupid wheels for anti vibration pads from Machine mart. I also moved the pulley and cleaned up the edges so it did not shred the belt! Bolts come loose so have a routine of checking them or get better quality fixings, use ny-locks for example.

The pull starter broke after a few months and rather than take it back, I just got another one I made the mistake of trying to repair it anyway. The 6mm copper pipe that comes from the pressure relief valve to the top of the compressor snapped with vibration so it does not unload the compressor until I get around to fixing it. I have a habit of when it gets up to pressure at full tilt I slow the revs down, and start cutting.

I have mine inside the workshop area and I have done a simple but better silencer using an old propane bottle and some metal tubing to take the exhaust outside. that works OK and probably puts to much back pressure on the engine but it works.

If you are asking if they are worth it, well they are cheap compared to some others on the market but they are made to a very cheap price, so Loncin style engines and not Honda, they vibrate and not sure how they would cope if bolted down with rubber pads?

Oh last night the spark plug cap vibrated apart so i now need a new one!

I am local to the place so I picked one up for around £300 as no postage costs, it got me going and I think I have had it over 12 months now.

If you can get a good quality one second hand for a similar price I would be tempted to do that, but if you need something you can fettle to suit your needs then cheap enough for a starter. I would not suggest one for professional use if you work depended on it.

Adrian

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    eLuSiVeMiTe and V6BOY like this.
  3. V6BOY Member

Wow great informative post, I would be using it for mobile repairs in the back of a van so yes it would need to be reliable to a certain extent. I've already made my mind up now I best get saving for a nice hyundia one I see.

4. james butler

james butler Member

might sound a daft question but could you mount a compressor pump under the bonnet and run it off the vans engine?

5. 8ob

8ob Member

There is a slightly larger ( snug fit sideways in a pickup) nice single cylinder diesel electric start compressor lurking in a corner somewhere, its out of an emergency call out tyre van and has had little to no use. If interested drop me a pm.

Bob

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. V6BOY Member

Not really looking to go down that route.

PM Sent

Advertisements