Patio Furniture Build

1. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Mrs RDR wants some more patio furniture and pointed me to this which she liked

montego_289675_15e1.jpg

a 3 seater, 2 seater and chair come to just shy of $5k :o so you can guess whats coming ....

I worked out a sketchUp of a 3 seater based on the cushion sizes we ordered using 40x40 square for the sides and 40x20 for the seat and back. Metal order for metal hub came to £65 for enough steel to make a 3 seater, 2 seater and chair. I had today to myself so thought I would crack on.

Actually printed the design to stop me making it up, was determined to stick to it for once:laughing:

IMG_0784.jpg

Cutting up using my new Flip stop fence proved very useful for repeat cuts
    IMG_0782.jpg

Got x6 sides, 3 seater base and back all welded up

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

I did play with the angle of the back a bit

IMG_0790.jpg

then welded it all up and tested the cushions

IMG_0792.jpg

I'm going to use composite decking for the seat and back, looking for something low maintenance

IMG_0794.jpg

next job flatten all the outside welds on the 3 seater and add a mid brace to the base and back then make the 2 seater and chair. Mrs RDR still deciding on the colour for the metal if she doesn't make her mind up soon it will be black or Festool grey :laughing:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Yamhon, nickk, stuvy and 17 others like this.
  2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Certainly looks the business :thumbup:

If it was mine I would put some sacrificial pads on the bases, they would prevent damage to the paint when moved around and probably wood on the arm rests...but that's just me and we all differ with designs.

3. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Thanks

For the base the legs protrude 10mm and will have plastic inserts in when finished so hopefully won't rock and the base shouldn't get scuffed up on the patio. Great minds think alike re the arm rests :laughing: I suggested to Mrs RDR some wood on top of the arms rounded over, the jury is out though as she wants to see how it turns out first - it would be an easy addition and personally I have an idea for some kind of wider arm/table with cup holder that slips on the arms when entertaining.

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Yep thats the thing I had in mind as well..would really set them off.

5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

wow....thats a tidy workshop......and the sofa looks good as well.....but Im totally in awe of your worshop

Geofftl1000r, Yamhon, stuvy and 3 others like this.
  6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    "So luv you want me to buy some metal then use my band saw,welding table and new welder to build you some garden furniture?" :clapping:

Looks good, have you thought about square mesh for the back and seat? I guess the benefit of the composite material is you could sit on it without cushions if needed.

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

stuvy and R-D-R like this.
  8. R-D-R Forum Supporter

@slim_boy_fat We already have a rattan set from Costco :laughing: the set I'm building will eventually be for the new decking area that I'm apparently building too :dontknow:

@armalites we want to be able to use them occasionally without getting the cushions out hence the idea behind the composite decking. I like doing jobs like this for Mrs RDR it scores major brownie points and justifies my tool purchases :laughing: I want a lathe next so if I can keep this build under £300 it obviously justifies at least £2k on a lathe when you offset it against the retail of her chosen design :laughing:

Yamhon, stuvy, mike os and 4 others like this.
  9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Like your logic @R-D-R
    Hate you for all that Festool kit though trying to justify some

10. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

just gotta get the sun to work a bit more........
    nice 1..........

11. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

I too have interlocking 'button' tiles in my garage. I too have a 'made to measure' SHS workbench.

The similarities with yours end there.

I am saving the photograph of your beautifully designed workbench for future reference. Nothing to do with head slapping why didn't I think of that ism. Well I did actually, but executed it badly.

Sketchup? Or an application that can be read by Sketchup? Possibility of supplying a copy of the file - after you have test-driven the final article? Or are you considering small scale production and sale on Etsy or Wayfair?

12. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

say in passing some nice steel smooth bars would look great in there to set it off pity as i could not do that unless i had a lathe to spin the metal :whistle:

13. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Had an hour today, managed to get the two seater welded up, realised when cutting the back i had miscalculated the steel and will be short for the single chair by 2m :doh: know a place in Sheffield ill be passing tomorrow that might be open.

IMG_0806.jpg

@rtcosic happy to upload a sketch up file for the design once its been tested. Thanks for the comments on the workbench.

jymford, andy_v and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

@rtcosic happy to upload a sketch up file for the design once its been tested. Thanks for the comments on the workbench.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

15. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Have you considered using mesh rather than decking?
    Lighter, thinner and allows air circulation through the foam cushion. Also would provide a little 'spring' in the seat rather than the firm boards.

Entire finished article can then be galvanised and be totally weather proof.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    That question has already been asked and answered

17. wookie Member

You've done a cracking job of it so far, I know I'm only making work for myself but I think I'll show this to my missus...

Arclikeharrypotter likes this.
  18. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

So it has!

Must learn to re-read the entire thread. I had missed your contribution.

19. 1Billion Amps Member

Really nice work there, R-D-R. You should make more of them to sell. Using stainless would be a nice upgrade, too.

20. wookie Member

Oh flipping heck, she likes it :( @R-D-R where are you getting the cushions and fake decking from ? also any chance of a copy of your plans when you've finalised them ? :thumbup:

Advertisements