Parweld XTT 202 with WP20 torch

1. pawsnizzy Forum Supporter

Hi All,
    Got the above TIG welder and a cooler but due to illness have only just got round to procuring a water cooled torch. A mate has given me a BNIB parweld WP20-12 torch and I've sourced a power adaptor.
    The red connector (with the cable in it) obviously goes to this adaptor and I assume the pipe off it goes to the cooler o/p.
    The black and blue hose (argon - black, return to chiller - blue?) Can someone please confirm this as there's no labelling and the Parweld website hasn't got any info. that I can find

Thanks in advance

• Power Adaptor.jpg
    • WP20 Connections.jpg
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. anto44

anto44 Member

Blowing into the pipes should confirm which is the argon pipe and which are the coolant pipes, the argon pipe will vent out through the collet when you blow through it

3. gt6s Member

The one on adaptor is gas.

4. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Black should indeed be the gas hose, certainly is on all of my Parweld torches and any other I have seen. As has been said though you could blow through to see, if you have enough breath :D
    Alternatively just leave the black and blue disconnected and over a bucket and switch the cooler on, one will have water coming out and that will almost certainly be the blue one.

5. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Blue is usually water feed line. Takes cold water direct to the torch head. The red is usually the power cable line and the returning water cools down the cable also.
    That's usually, anyways.
    So your red power cable goes onto the adapter, and the adapter line goes to the cooler return port.

6. pawsnizzy Forum Supporter

So the pipe off the adaptor goes to gas or cooler return port? Am I being thick?

7. Hood

On a gas cooled torch it would go to the gas port on the welder, on a water cooled torch it goes to the water connection.

Munkul likes this.
  8. gt6s Member

I think you really need to evaluate if tig welding is even for you.

9. pawsnizzy Forum Supporter

So nice to meet someone who was born knowing everything - when conflicting data is supplied, only the truly stupid wouldn't ask for clarification surely?

chip, tom2207 and Hood like this.
  10. Hood

Everybody has to learn and if you are unsure then asking questions is never the stupid option.

tom2207 and pawsnizzy like this.
  11. gt6s Member

You have been given all the information you need. Simple as.

12. pawsnizzy Forum Supporter

And now I've found this, which is virtually identical to the one I have:whistle: Dinse Adaptor.jpg

13. Hood

But don't connect to the gas if you are using a water cooled torch ;)

14. gt6s Member

All the information you need bar two coolant pipes is included on that pic. As you already have been advised. Waiting for. How to fit torch switch plug ? How to assemble tig torch ? How to operate control panel.

15. pawsnizzy Forum Supporter

Even better, ALL 3 of the connnectors from the torch are the same size and handed thread as the connectors on the welder for the torch and gas!

16. hotponyshoes Member

You have to get power through that dinse connector so the only way a water cooled torch can work is to separate the gas out to another line.

Blow through the lines one at a time.
    Only one will come out at the torch end, that's the gas one.
    The remaining 2 are water and need to connect to the flow/return on the cooler.
    Binzel seem to be the industry standard for torches and their plumbing diagrams show the blue line connecting to cooler output and red (power cable on your dinse fitting) on the return side.

I have never (intentionally) tried connecting them the other way around to see if the flow rate changes?
    I suppose there may be tapers/steps on the inner workings of the torch that might cool better one way than the other and maybe drawing some heat from the torch before going to the power cable might be better or worse?
    I would be surprised if getting them mixed up makes any difference in real life hobby settings as most of the welders will hit the duty cycle before that.

17. pawsnizzy Forum Supporter

Thankyou so much everyone - thankfully I didn't fall for the 'gas into the dinse adaptor' trap:doh:

18. minimutly Member

IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2444.JPG Jumping in on someone else's thread here, so forgive me.
    I'm putting together a cooler and binzel torch, but the lines don't make a whole load of sense, added to that my Selco had a Euroconnector for the torch, switch and gas.
    So here goes - my torch.
    The thin black is the feed to the gas from the torch. So if blue is cold water, that makes thick black thr return water and power? This has surprised me a bit - I was expecting the torch gas to be the thick black! Even the connector on the thick black is copper, the others being brass.
    Anyway - will this be ok, assuming I can get some sort of adaptor to fit the euroconnector? This had a pipe with power going up it... somehow the gas has to come out of the adaptor to a simple hose, being replaced by the thin black line....
    I don't even know if this is doable?
    Why isn't the rubber (thick black) the gas and power, blue cold water, thin black return water? Is this a duff torch?

19. Hood

On a gas cooled torch the gas goes through the power lead but on a water cooled torch the water goes through the power lead. This allows not only the head to be cooled but also the wire in the power lead.

minimutly likes this.
  20. minimutly Member

This makes sense, except the red is thick black in my case. And I can't fit a screwed adaptor, it has to be a solid pipe teed off to the (thin bleck) gas line.

Advertisements