Parweld Xtm301c blew up

1. Ryan mcp New Member

Hi all
    Have been welding with my parweld xtm301c on and off all day. I went to use it and it blew the fuse and smoke coming out of it. I took panels off it and think this is the problem. I dont know much about the workings of these. Does anyone know what this is? It now is blowing fuse as soon as welder turns on. It hasn't over heated as it has temperature light which didnt come on and it was only being used on and off.
    It's a single phase inverter mig. 300 amp.

Thanks in advance

• 20200614_185825.jpg
    • 20200614_185809.jpg
    • 20200614_190822.jpg
  2. duncans

duncans Member

Welcome to the forum Ryan MCP

3. eddie49 Member

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.
    That is the auxiliary transformer. The primary is 230v AC mains, the secondary usually 24v AC. ( Yours could have some extra tappings for other voltages too.)
    This transformer gets power as soon as the main switch on the welder is turned on - before the torch trigger is pressed. The 24v output is rectified to DC and is used for all the control circuits in the welder, such as the torch trigger, the gas solenoid valve, the printed circuit board, the heavy duty on/off Contactor for the main welding transformer, and the wirefeed motor.

It is unusual for a transformer to fail. Are you sure that the machine is blowing the fuse as soon as it is plugged in and the front panel power switch is turned on, before you press the torch trigger ?
    With an Ohmmeter ( digital voltmeter ), we can help you check the primary and secondary resistance on this transformer to confirm the fault.

Is the machine still under warranty, did you buy it new from a local welding supplier?

monky harris likes this.
  4. Ryan mcp New Member

Hi Eddie
    Thanks for your help
    Yes I just figured that's what it was. I cut the 240v supply to it. Welder comes on without blowing fuse and pulls the contractor in on the switch and will spark off the earth. No wire feed or gas hence having no low voltage supply. I bought the welder second hand so no warranty unfortunately

monky harris likes this.
  5. eddie49 Member

If the main Contactor comes on even with the auxiliary transformer broken and disconnected, then the contactor must have a 230v operating coil.
    That auxiliary transformer is quite large, perhaps 300 Watts or more. Normally the resistance of the primary should be somewhere from 20 to 40 Ohms.

monky harris likes this.
Advertisements