parweld xtm161c problem

1. mj1 New Member

My parweld works fine on thin steel. Power setting 3 wire speed 2. Yesterday i needed to weld some 4mm so i set power to max 6 and if i turn the wire speed up above 3 it welds rubbish. I would have expected the wire speed to need to be higher to get more amps into the job. Any ideas

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    “It welds rubbish” is no help whatsoever. What actually happens?
    A simple guide to setting your wire speed for any given power setting is to increase the feed speed slowly as you weld until you start feeling the torch being pushed away from the workpiece, then back the knob off slightly until it stops pushing.

3. mj1 New Member

okay. if i have the power are setting on max 6 and wire speed about 2.5 it welds okay on 2mm steel, but when i turn the wire speed up a bit more to get a few more amps in to the job a get loads of weld spatter as if the wire speed is way too high.
    how can a wire speed of 3 or 4 be way too high when the welder power is set to maximum?
    I am using 0,8 wire and co2 gas.
    Thanks

4. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    On many machines the wire speed will self-adjust with each voltage setting, the speed control is then used to trim it.
    Do as I said in my last post and that should set you up nicely.

5. mj1 New Member

it is possible. it does weld okay on max power with wire speed about 2 or 2.5. just used to having the wire speed much higher. thanks

Wozzaaah likes this.
Advertisements