panel fabrication

1. tube chassis?? Member

as part of my project tube chassis I have a body shell that will need new sills and rear arches repairing. I can get replacement panels for these areas no probs, but I would like to replace the suroof glass with a welded in steel panel. Any ideas where I could get one made? It has a visible side to side curvature and a hardly noticable front to rear curve. I did think of going to the scrappy but I'm not sure I will be able to match the curves to my liking

2. defrayne Member

have you thought about cutting a panel from the roof of the same model but with no sunroof... we used to do this but we riveted them in to place...its a nightmare to weld without distorting the roof..

3. Danger Member

Ontario, Canada
    What kind of car is the donor body?

4. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    I reckon Defrayne has the best answer, find a non-sunroof body of the same model and cut the roof out to fit, that way you get the perfect curve.

5. tube chassis?? Member

the body is a vauxhall carlton saloon, Im not sure if they made one without a sunroof

6. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Didn't Plod use Carltons? In which case they would have as you never see a police car with a sunbroof.

7. tube chassis?? Member

I think they did a long time ago not sure if there are many left now I will have a look at the local scrappy

8. Silas (son of Silas)

Silas (son of Silas) In need of restoration.

West Midlands
    My father welded up a sunroof hole for a car of mine years ago. He cut a huge section from the donor (most of the roof) then placed it on top of the roof of the car with the hole to be filled until he matched the contour, then scribed the shape to be cut from inside the car. I recall he spent an eternity welding in the smallest of steps so it didn't distort.

Advertisements