Painting motorbike fairing

1. spencer burrows New Member

Hi, i have just sprayed a motorbike fairing and the cellulose paint went on ok, but there seems to be bits in finish. I am a DIYer by the way. I used a small compressor and used a moisture/water trap before gun. Can anyone advise me on this as for my first time it is okay apart from these tiny bits. What has caused this and how do i get them out?

2. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Where did you do the spraying? This time of year the air's full of dust, pollen, bugs, you name it! If you spray indoors (garage etc.) it's worth hoovering then damping down to hold dust from being kicked up, there's a reason the pros have fancy spray booths and spacesuits...

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Let the paint cure for a week or two and wet sand it with fine sandpaper, then use rubbing compound and it should be like a mirror.

4. spencer burrows New Member

would the compressor have something to do with it?

5. spencer burrows New Member

wet sand with 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit? what rubbing compound would you suggest? would lacquering it with 1k acrylic be any good.

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Did you filter the paint before it went into the gun?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. norsa

norsa old school painter

Clarify. Are these bits in it or on it.
    Nick

8. Slowcoach Member

Did you use tak rags immediately before applying the topcoat.

9. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    unless youre in a mint condition spray booth its likley you will get specs of dust in the paint

as said wet sand it with fine papers and polish it , should look ok , if not repaint it and try to be cleaner next time

10. bert Member

Even in a propper booth swept out new filters and with the floor wet I still get dust in my paint jobs.

For flatting after the paint has hardened I start with 2000 grit to take off any high parts or orange peel and then use a 3000 grit trizac disk then a 6000 grit trizac before machine polishing.

I put at least 3 good coats on so I know there is enough thickness to cut it back.

Dcal and Hopefuldave like this.
Advertisements