Paint for trailer

1. ajmoore1 Member

uk
    Hi guys

I am after a bit of advice on what paint and a supplier for painting the trailer in the pic. I have stripped the majority of the rust off and sanded the other paint with 120 grit on a da sander. I was planning on using this as a primer https://www.smithandallan.com/produ...ast-20-alkyd-zinc-phosphate-primer-red-oxide/
    and top coat with https://www.smithandallan.com/produ...329-single-pack-machinery-enamel-all-colours/

I have only got a small compressor so was going to apply with a 4 inch foam roller. Any advice much appreciated.

F2F1AA50-FEBD-40A0-9BE0-DF023D45D578.jpeg 1CD227B7-1FB9-4449-AF6F-CAF9E44984CF.jpeg

2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Dcal likes this.
  3. Yorkshirelad Member

Are you painting the whole trailer ?

4. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

just get some 1/2 decent red oxide from say Screwfix etc.......then ur local tractor shop will have tractor enamel paint...loads'a colours.....
    about £15 per 750-1liter....plenty good enough......can be roller'd brushed or sprayed....but get the correct thinner.......
    all my old trailers got the same...after 10 years started to get a bit tatty but sold up.......
    they were out in all weathers.....

5. Justme

Justme Member

Get it galved, do it once do it right ;)

brightspark likes this.
  6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

be nice to galv it but the platers I used last wouldnt let it in the yard without sandblasting and extra air bleed holes.........
    stick with the paint it will last well enough....

7. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

If you do what Fizzy says it will last 15 years at least before needing touching up.
    If you blast it you will get 25 years from the same paint.

fizzy likes this.
  8. And if you use 1K paints, you will likely be able to see it rust in twelve months! Go for epoxy primer at the very least then any final colour coat of your choice.

fizzy likes this.
  9. Yorkshirelad Member

I'd recommend Transpeed monocoat , it can be mixed to any bs/real number .it's hard wearing with a decent finish and no need to mess about with primer or undercoat. I've used it on several trailers/chassis and hundred of other items

10. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Whatever goes on it is only as good as the base so I would go with chassis black/silver/red below the deck line and a tractor enamel on the rest of it.

About £35 a gallon

[​IMG]

11. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Also it’s fine to leave as the topcoat if you like, may just chalk up over time exposed to UV but that’s just aesthetics.

fizzy likes this.
  12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
Advertisements