Our work benches..

1. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    hi all...
    thought i would post a thread about work benches....we all use them in our daily jobs..work or home...and would be stuffed without them...they take all the abuse we can chuck at em and never answer back.....so post ya picks ....
    this is mine...all be it not finished yet and not ideal for welding......

WP_20140207_001.jpg

monkeymark likes this.
  2. rich r

rich r Member

North Yorkshire
    Picture a sturdy 1970s G-plan office desk with a big vice bolted to it at one corner. That's mine. :) It's made of 25mm box section with a 40mm slab of veneered high density chipboard on top, and drawers below so pretty sturdy. I've stripped engines and gearboxes on it without it creaking. They don't make office desks like that any more...

monkeymark and spencer 427 like this.
  3. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    haha...awesome...sounds cool.....and no they deffo dont make stuff like they used to....

4. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    Here's mine - it's made from angle which was scrapped from unused electricity pylons - not sure why it was scrapped but it was dirt cheap as the scrap value of galv was low at the time (maybe still is?). The top is wood (I used to do more woodwork than metalwork) but I have a plate which goes on top of a portion of it for welding. It must be at least 30 years old. It took three of us to shift it last time it was moved and that was after I had unbolted the legs!

Needless to say, it's a rock solid work platform. (I must have a tidy up sometime!)

2014-07-15 12.05.11.jpg

5. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    great stuff...a good ol work bench thats done/doing ya proud....

6. AndyStobbs Member

I can hardly talk about mine without getting all dewy eyed, so I know how you all feel guys.

7. CRB

CRB Member

Cannot see mine, it is so covered in crap, makes working on it a proper pain.:vsad:

the snooper, W.olly, fenman and 2 others like this.
  8. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

Tut tut, Bench's for working on shelves for storing on;)

Dieselkid 63 and chunkolini like this.
  9. CompoSimmonite Member

oMy late father-in-law was a sports ground contractor. He gave me the left over sections after building a series of tennis courts and I made my bench out of 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle iron. A big York vice (birthday present from in-laws) is bolted to one corner. It's now destined for my new shed / workshop and the garage will get a full width bench made out of scaffolding and KeeKlamps. Cut the tubes ages ago and have loads of KeeKlamps in stock but another "roundtuit" :)

Paul H

spencer 427 likes this.
  10. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Next to the plug sockets, are those dinse connectors ? - for grounding I presume.

11. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    Yep, that's it - there are a couple more in the box in the middle at the back (just above the little anvil) but those ones are less obvious because they have plugs in them to stop them filling up with grinding dust. I like to have lots of options because it is annoying if the ground lead is dragging small work pieces off the bench.

12. rosinante

rosinante Member

Hi I will try and get a pic of mine ,cant see it for bits and pieces, it came from the skip when I worked at British Aerospace, made from 40x40 angle with lots of cross members, all welds ground flat and stove enamelled, fitted with castors and stainless levelling feet, it was part of the Seadart missile canard ring alignment test system [that's the bit of the missile with the control fins on near the rear of the missile],had it for 15 years now.
    Chris

13. mfletch

mfletch Member

P1010062.jpg

Cant see much of it been busy

doubleboost and spencer 427 like this.
  14. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    sounds interesting...be nice to see a pic....

15. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I noticed them ones after I posted. It's a great idea by the way:clapping:, I'll have to include this when I build my bench.

16. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    I cant see mine for all the crap on it, must have a tidy.

17. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Here's mine:
    It was already in the shed when we moved in about 3 and a half years ago, all I've added is the bench vice and the clutter :laughing:. Its getting a bit knackered now, It's about time I made a nice welding bench DSC_0361[1].jpg

spencer 427 likes this.
  18. optima21 Forum Supporter

this is in one of the "bedrooms" in my house

[​IMG]

and this is in my garage. Im in the boot of my car working on it

[​IMG]

ross1993, W.olly and spencer 427 like this.
  19. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

I hada bedroom like that when I lived in the flat. drill, lathe and small mill in there, small bench and then a cupboard full of hand tools. was a nightmare moving it all out in one go when I left lol. the bench stayed there

20. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    haha....a bedroom/mini workshop....good stuff...nice to see some good well used benches hear people.......

Advertisements