optrel weldcap

1. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

i bought one of these things this week
    i thought it would be ideal for some of the awkward superduplex stuff im engaged on at the moment im currently doing
    some very high spec subsea pipework in a workshop in a fjord in norway
    ive been using a monkey mask but elf n safety want you to wear athing like a dustbin with hard hat inside ,so im going to fix an air feed esab style inside the weldcap .
    as to the clarity for now i have double vision courtesy of comrade Smirnff so i cannot judge , However il be hard at it next week and report back to all

• 20190703_211544.jpg
  2. sasquar Member

poole dorset
    i like them, i have two (well, techincally neither are 'mine', one belongs to @HughF (which is in my workshop), and my old man paid for the other one (which is in his workshop)) very comfy, take a bit of getting used to (i still try and lift mine like a normal lid at least once every time i use it) and nice clear vision..... Im no expert welder by a long shot, but i do a fair bit of vehicle mig and a bit of bench tig, and use find them very agreeable for both jobs!

stuvy and premmington like this.
  3. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

tried the weldcap briefly today it seems very comfy and a hard hat sits on top if realy needed , iv been trying to fix up an air supply which should be relatively easy ive made a twin outlet manifold that will supply two plastic small bore pipes into the helmet
    ive got this 3m versaflow unit that can be adjusted for ice cold aid or warm air a very clever venturi thing that plugs into breathing air supply. If air supply drops the little whistle goes off
    its a lot lighter than an adflo and less bulk
    IMG-20190704-WA0001.jpeg IMG-20190704-WA0003.jpeg

stuvy likes this.
  4. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

here is the final set up a perforated plastic pipe drilled holes 25mm pitch mostly at front
    just nicked the fabric hem and looped it around inside fitted a tee piece and about
    a metre of pipe all 6mm bore to a small needlle valve, ex propane torch terminating in a euro air fitting. attached to a waist belt
    tried it off the adflow and versaflow but it created way too much back pressure
    it works a treat and can have a wee breeze or a head cooling blast
    remember to drill holes so its not blowing diectly into you eyes and use breathing quality air 20190705_122927.jpg

stuvy likes this.
  5. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

heres the modded weldcap with added airflow at work ,its light and the air keeps you cool , very clear on standby and well defined welding image ,cant see much difference in altering shade numbers it looks like background gets a bit darker but the arc remains the same 20190710_181054.jpg 20190710_181025.jpg

Dcal, eSCHEn, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  6. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine New Member

That is some beautiful welding Zep!

7. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

heres the cap under progress 20190713_095906.jpg

eSCHEn likes this.
  8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

20190713_110133.jpg heres the cap could be better but i had my heid wedged between the pipes and was welding blind for a couple of inches ,just relying on keeping the rythm going as they say !
    there is a transition, ie an angle on the cap to blend from smaller diameter to larger

Brad93 and Moose McAlpine like this.
  9. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine New Member

Beautiful work.

How are you finding Norway? I was offered a job there years ago but passed on it.

10. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

11. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

heres a weld ive just completed takes 1.5 shifts of steady graft to do one i been working 2 at a time to control the heat and air cooling ,max interpass is 100 c 20190715_085117.jpg

Advertisements