Opinions and Help

1. Ellis J English New Member

Hello,
    Before you slam me for being cheap. Yes i bought a ETOSHA 160 off amazon.com for me it does the job as we live rural so for the price after all the discounts and credits made it worth the purchase. I had to run a single 30amp circuit to it. But it runs pretty good for an entry level. I want to ask you guys is it possible to change out the Ground cable and wire lead to longer cables, not crazy long just another 5' or so maybe less. seems I am limited by the shortness of the leads that came with it. Hey Thanks in advance!

2. hotponyshoes Member

Yes.
    Rather than messing about too much just cut the ground clamp cable and fit a dinse plug/socket to each end of the cut.
    Then get another bit of cable and fit another dinse plug/socket to that to make up an extension lead.

The torch is a bit trickier, does it have a euro fitting? Ie. Is the torch removable or run directly into the machine?

James1979 likes this.
  3. MoreWellie Forum Supporter

Welcome Ellis

This forum is pretty friendly and I don't think I have seen anyone slammed for being cheap, maybe a bit of ribbing between people that "know" each other

I was surprised by the 30A circuit but then realised you were across the pond and half price voltage so it makes sense

as @hotponyshoes says easy enough to extend/replace the earth cable (with something a bit heavier perhaps) but your fixed torch is more difficult (expensive) to replace and you may find the wire feed is less happy feeding into a much longer torch so I would just do the earth lead and when you cannot live with the short cable any longer upgrade the complete welder

James1979 and frank horton like this.
  4. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I made up a kit to fit an euro torch for my old mig...no standard kit I could find...then for a longer torch cable/lead the machine wouldnt push the .6wire I was using so had to go to .8...thats now OK as long as the torch lead is pretty straight.....
    it'll do all I want but the next move would be to sell mine and upgrade....

5. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    Hi Ellis :waving: Not being cheap at all, we all start off differently. It's about asking questions, taking advice and getting experience, and the lads and lasses here are great for that :thumbup:

6. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

My Hypertherm 45 had a really cr@ppy ground lead, Cant understand why they did that,When the torch has a quick connect at the machine. fixed lead with stiff wire inside, I cut it off short and fitted a small rinse socket and then used a more suitable flexible lead,

Nick DV likes this.
  7. Ellis J English New Member

Thank you guys, I'll do the earth first that will help a lot. If I do into bigger things ( I doubt it) I'll get an upgrade. I had a stick a long time ago with 100' leads ti run a little hotter but it did the job as i needed. This ETOSHA after adj and wire change runs well enough burn is solid does the job right now. thanks again!!

Nick DV likes this.
Advertisements