One for the audio boffins

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Looking at getting music in the garden for parties.
    Thinking at putting an amp permanently in one of the sheds (all water tight and powered) and running speaker wire to passive speakers. Maybe 4 speakers or 2. Furthest speaker would be approx 150ft from amp. Speakers will be stored after so not bothered about water proof.
    Looking to get all 2nd hand stuff from ebay - £200/£300 MAX for speakers and amp.

Not looking to create a massive noise but would like decent quality and a bit of omph!

Will passive speakers work that far from an amp?
    If so, what sort of amp / speakers combi should I be looking for.
    Am I dreaming on my budget :confused:

2. tom2207 Member

buy some old hi fi seperates , and it will do all you need ,
    say an old pioneer amp , say 50 or 60 ,, couple of pairs of speakers at 30 or 40 quid a pair , and wire it up with arctic cable and you will be grand ,, you could spend a lot more and not do much better.
    go shopping local gumtree ,, or get two old hi fi systems and wire between them with some cheap mic lead.
    bung the amp in the middle somewhere and make life easy for wires , just put it in a box , if it rains every one will go home any way.

zx9, stuvy and Gragson like this.
  3. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

This is what I was saying to my youngest, and he said I was nuts, .... you need pre amped this with blue tooth that, and don't forget the sprinkle of something else...
    I was sure when I had a beefy Marantz amp and big KEF speakers they would go for miles..

zx9, tom2207 and stuvy like this.
  4. tom2207 Member

In the real world your budget wouldnt cover the cables needed to plug in a reasonable system , so it may be the way to go , big old hi fi speakers are cheap as chips , and best of all disposable . many wont agree . lol

eLuSiVeMiTe and stuvy like this.
  5. stuvy

stuvy Member

exactly this

I have a pa set up with dab connected its so loud my boss hates it

thing is the units make so much noise blasting and cutting/grinding that it drowns them out

Gragson and tom2207 like this.
  6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Il be honest.
    Id plug four echo dots in. Sync them into one group and stream from amazon music.

Not bad sound at all from them. The echos are better though.

Gragson likes this.
Advertisements