Oil thermostat, or not, when fitting a cooler

1. CompoSimmonite Member

I have a 700cc Smart Fortwo and it's proven that the engines last longer on the models fitted with an oil cooler. I've got a brand new cooler so am debating whether to fit an oil thermostat at same time. The OE oil cooler is a tiny item, compared to the one I'm going to fit, and doesn't have a thermostat.
    I reckon a thermostat is a good idea seeing most of my journeys are short local but there are the occasional all day high speed runs on motorways where I think a cooler would be advantagous.
    What is other peoples opionion ?
    Thanks.

123hotchef likes this.
  2. Kayos

Kayos Member

Always fit a stat, oil works best once it's up to temp.

CompoSimmonite and indy4x like this.
  3. anto44

anto44 Member

If you're fitting a much bigger cooler than standard then you should fit a thermostat. You could fit it without the thermostat and monitor the oil temperature if you can and see how it runs and if it's running too cold then fit a thermostat.

CompoSimmonite likes this.
  4. james butler

james butler Member

yes definately fit an oil stat like kayos says it will regulate the oil temperature much better as you dont want it too cold either

CompoSimmonite and indy4x like this.
  5. Wallace

Wallace Member

Quite a few good options available these days with the stat in the cooler and take off plates. have you looked in the Think Automotive catalogue?

Advertisements