Oerlikon 300

1. clem dog

clem dog Its just not fair!

No fixed abode
    I just bought a second hand 300 amp single phase mig.:clapping:

Havent had a chance to use it yet other than to see if it fires up and feeds wire, which it does!

Its a citoarc m 300 c solo mig. There was some overspray on the front panel which i triad to rub off with thinners and managed to take the settings off also:mad:.

Regarding the voltage settings (as I have no manual) could I use a multimeter, between the tip and earth clamp, at the different switch positions to obtain the relevant OCV's? Then I could use the miller calculator and I would then have an idea what thickness of steel could be welded with the 1mm wire that is currently in the welder.

Can anyone shed any light on the set or know where i could get a manual for it as the previous owner had lost it?

Ill try and get a few photos up of the welder and a few sample welds before the weekend for you guys to run your eye over for me!

Clem

2. wyn

wyn Member

We have a citoarc in work...don't know whether it would be similar.

Here's a pic.

On the bottom the left hand control is the coarse setting, and the right hand one the fine setting.
    On this one the coarse setting knob goes round in circles, so it just has to be set up on a bit of scrap

DSC00330.jpg

3. clem dog

clem dog Its just not fair!

No fixed abode
    It looks a bit like that Wyn except without the seperate WFU. There seems to be 24 settings on that Wyn mine only has 14, just a coarse setting with two positions and a fine setting with 7 positions. I just dont know what is what! Your welder seems to have 2 plugs for your earth lead also, mine only has 1. This has something to do with spray transfer does it not?

I do see that the wire speed setting on mine is on a scale from 1 to 10 and the writing below it is m/min ( I think as it was not taken off with the thinners but is covered in overspray) This would lead me to beleive that it is not just for trimming wire speed but that the wire speed must be changed for each individual setting.

It also has a red topped knob aswell, figuring that could be burn back? Or maybe a spot timmer.

Thanks

Clem

4. wyn

wyn Member

The knobs are only labeled with letters so it's always a case of messing about a bit to begin with to sort out a reasonable setting for what you are welding.

The 2 plugs for the earth are for changing the inductance, as you say i think it helps in certain situations..i'm not that certain really. I'm sure there was an explanation in a thread somewhere.

The wire speed on this one is not just for trimming it, but needs setting up as well. It has the same markings but i don't think, say, 4 on the dial means 4 m/minute...it's just marked with numbers to give you a rough idea.

The little switch under it is for torch latching............Either normal operation or pull trigger for on, then pull it again for off.

5. G Foster New Member

Sorry to jump in folks, but got a similar problem.
    I inherited this M303C 3phase mig but I've never had any experience with mig, but would like to 'have a go'.
    It's got loads of dials and symbols and a choice of two earth connections.
    Is this welder capable of using 'flux core' wire?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    I have got some pics if it would help?
    Thanks.

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, don't worry about being late.....:D :waving:

Pics always make things easier, so let's see what you have. Include the inside too, as that'll show the connectors should you need to switch from gas to gasless wire. :thumbup:

7. G Foster New Member

Thank you slim_boy_fat, at the moment I only have the dials pictures, but will take some internal ones ASAP.
    Cheers once again.

8. eddie49 Member

The two "earth" connections ( correct name is the welding return lead ) will offer different levels of inductance in the welding current path. The high inductance connection ( perhaps indicated on the front panel by a coil symbol with a lot of turns ) is better for welding thicker metal, and the low inductance setting is for thin metal.
    To use flux core wire you have to reverse the voltage polarity at the MIG torch. For solid wire, the torch is positive, and the return ( "earth" ) is negative.
    With flux core/gasless welding, it's the other way round - the torch is negative. Hobby welders that are sold with the cheaper gasless set-up as an option will often have sockets on the front panel, or jumpers inside to make this swap-over easy. However, a large professional machine like this one probably does not have that feature. It can still be done, but you will have to open the covers and unbolt cable connections.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. G Foster New Member

At the moment it has a roll of gasless wire which I installed to see if the wire feed was OK...and because I didn't want to get involved with a gas hire contract.
    The only panels that has easy access is the wire dept. All the other panels are screwed in place.
    It looks very much like the one showing above in this thread.
    I'm going to attempt to show it on some pics, but I'll have to use our main computer and not this pad....bear with me!

10. G Foster New Member

Tried to upload pics from main computer but failed several times, so gave up!
    The model showing above in this thread is almost the same minus the seperate wire feed unit.
    If anyone can explain the controls...in simple terms please, I shall be much obliged.
    Thank you.

11. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

there is a reference grid on the lh side of the front panel can just about see it on the previous photo doesent it have a digital readout for the voltage, it might not display until you arc up
    i have an m308c similar to yours but 3 phase

12. G Foster New Member

Hello, thanks for your reply, my model has not got the digital read-out.
    I am not the original poster, I jumped in after noticing it had lain idle for some years, and not having a clue how to start a thread of my own.
    This is also a 3phase machine.

13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

At the bottom right of the page, hit the "Upload a File" button and a dialogue box should appear with your pics in it. Click on the one you want to show in your post(s) and then "Open". You'll see a progress bar showing the file being loaded, then a choice of which to show, thumbnail or full size.

Your problem might be that your pic file(s) are too large - reduce them and you should have no difficulties :thumbup: .

14. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

i will photo the grid and post it on this thread
    when im on my leave i should be home next monday

Advertisements