Review Non-Woven Preparation Wheel 115mm

1. andy28

andy28 Member

shropshire
    Hi all, so today called in at screwfix and pick up one of these to try removing mill scale on so mild steel, at moment seems to be doing a good job in removing it, will post some pics tomorrow of the steel plate top which will be used as weld bench
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/non-woven-preparation-wheel-115mm/83915
    Thanks
    Andy

Yamhon likes this.
  2. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

I would not worry about removing millscale.
    I use heaps of hot rolled strip and bar and stopped bothering years ago.
    Have a play with it before you start expending needless energy. I spent a bonkers amount of time on it when I started out.
    Cue a kicking from people who know far more than me.

3. Yamhon Member

On my course; removing anything such as mill scale was only brought up after all the welds were finished to the assigned standard, and I think that was more so the details would show up better in the camera and to remove any rough edges in case they get pulled out of storage for review again, etc. Initially I forgot all about it, then it hit me and felt strange not to be worrying about it so much, but both instructors who were time served and very knowledgeable didn't even hint it would be a problem and sure enough both with oxy process and then MAG on lots of 6mm plate, no problems at all with millscale and very light rust.

Paint seems to be a very different animal; I was trying to rush last week on some steel angle I was using and didn't bother removing the paint and or rust converter I had on it, and ended up wasting more time trying to get a working ground than I would have if I just ground it off to begin with.

andy28 likes this.
  4. andy28

andy28 Member

shropshire
    from a background of looking in to this and family member of mine that has done fab and welding work to very standards he always telling me to make sure metal is fully clean, but time will tell as I learn more...

Yamhon likes this.
  5. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Paint is the work of satan.
    But mill scale is barely there. I used to fanny about removing it prior to welding. Then got tired of it.
    You may get the odd moment where mig welding you dont get an instant connection but it's rare.
    Best thing it to have a play about with materials and see what happens.
    I have heard people say you must remove all traces prior to welding.
    but I cant see that, then again I dont have good for nothing welding inspectors sniffing my underpants. I mean checking my work.
    After millscale there is rust to deal with, I generally grind that back to bare metal. As a sculptor I do use rusty metal and rust is a feature of my work, but serious rust can interfere with the mig welding process.

Yamhon and andy28 like this.
  6. Yamhon Member

Is it true that millscale will impede the formation of rust?

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

it gets underneath and flakes off

8. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Ashley Burton and Sean like this.
  9. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    yeah first reaction was "OooowMuch!" in best comedy Mark and Lard comedy voice

Great for removing that PU stonechip from sills, the stuff that just melts and smears when you try to use a flapper on it.

andy28 likes this.
  10. jordan1 Member

Tangledfeet likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s dear for a no brand wheel. Try a norton.

andy28 likes this.
  12. Ped

Ped Member

Stamford, uk
    I have a similar trouble with mild steel plate. Every flap disc I've tried loads up quickly and then just polishes it. I've also tried these prep wheels and they seem to do the same. I only tig weld.

I sometimes lightly use a grinding disc to remove the very top layer and then a 60 flap disc to flatten the bumps. Still a pain though.

If the parts are small enough I dump them in a hydrochloric acid bath in the shed for 10 minutes. I know that sounds a bit bonkers but it works like magic.

13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Use a 3mm solid wheel to take mill scale off

andy28 and Tangledfeet like this.
  14. andy28

andy28 Member

shropshire
    mate sorry if sounds daft what 3mm solid wheel..

15. Yamhon Member

I assume he means a regular hard grinding disc, as opposed to flap disc, etc...

16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I didn't get on with those woven thingies at all...just seem to spray small fragments all over the place and wear out very quickly.

I just stick to wire wheels these days.

17. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

I tried one to remove paint , worked well until you catch a corner then the wheel just shreds ! Expensive mistake to make !

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
Advertisements