Next Project

1. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    I hae a little 6' x 4' Ifor williams trailer, the only problem I have with it is that it's relatively shallow, especially when it comes to piling garden cuttings in it. I've decided to build some side extensions for it to make it more useful. It already has mounting points for them, the front has a socket to slip some box section in with a captive bolt so you can bolt through it. The back has a plate with a hole.

I was thinking of using something along the lines of 30mmx30mm x 3mm angle for the frames infilled with 10mm marine ply. The back would be the same but hinged at the top with a simple plate and bolt through the side frame as the hinge. Some over centre catches to hold it shut and then maybe a hasp and staple to lock the two tailgates together.

I initially thought of using box section rather than angle but couldn't work out an easy way to attach the ply. I want to use Ply rather than weld mesh as I may make a proper lid for it later to make it into a proper box. I know Ifor Williams sell sides but at nearly three hundred quid I'm sure I can make these cheaper.

Does anyone have any suggestions, hints tips etc? Would I need to add a triangular brace to reinforce the sides or will the ply do this satisfactorily. I don't want to make them too heavy!

2. Haze

Haze is it can be hugs tiem ?

West London
    use box section with a rail all the way round the top and sides, making it easier to add a top later on, fasten the ply with wing nuts or something ??

3. Justme

Justme Member

Use self drill & tap washered bolts (screwfix do loads or a local agri merchants). They get used loads on roofing sheets but come in wood to metal metal to wood sheet to sheet etc so get the right ones for the job.

Justme

4. tomarse

tomarse professional amateur

crewe/staffs
    Ply will work fine. I've just used 18mm WBB (i think it is called WBB - the outdoor one) on mine.
    My ply is just screwed in through the snalge as with the top rail in place and stuff in it it isnt going to go anywhere!

I didnt make this trailer from scratch but i have improved and re-inforced it recently along with re-boarding it. a tailgate is the next project
    The top rail is just 1" angle, uprights are 1.5" or so and the base is made from a cross of 60x40mm with a few small 1" angle reinforcing crossmembers.

I can fill it to the brim with soil and it is fine :) (though my car doesnt like towing it up hills then!)

[​IMG]

5. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Yeah, I don't see why angle won't work as most old home built trailers are made of it. I may make the tailgate from box section though. This is just to add some extra height to this trailer below, so it needs to be removable as I won't need it all the time.

I'm just in the middle of building a set of ramps for it as I have a big heavy power scythe to collect. I've made em from a couple of lengths of 50x50x5mm aluminium angle I had knocking around and some timber also salvaged, plus a couple of hooks made from some steel angle, so all its cost me is a few quid for some bolts. One will hold all of my not inconsiderable weight so they're strong too. I'll post some pics when they're finished. I'm also adding some strong tie down points to the bed floor so have to get the router out to fit them flush.

[​IMG]

6. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Here's mine: (5x10')
    [​IMG]

I bought it prebuilt. Sides are 2" angle iron. Even taller, it would not need and diagonal bracing. middle braces are rotated at 45 deg.

The wire mesh used to be the floor. Real pain loading up the bikes as it sagged between the supports and the welds were breaking. So put in wood floor. Then cut up mesh and put on sides.

Was my first real work with the Clarke. 200 spot welds. Yeah, I'm good at spot welds now :laughing:

This is a "lanscaping trailer" has a 5' tall gate that lowers down to unload mowers etc. Gate is basically same as sides, frame of 2" steel with some cross braces (no diagonal). There are 2 pieces of 1/2" pipe welded on each side; one on gate one on end of trailer. With gate up, they line up and you drop a piece of bent round bar in to latch each side. Bar has chain welded to it and trailer so you can't lose it.

Hinges are the same, round tube split in half, bar slid inside; half of tube on gate , half on trailer. You can remove the gate by sliding it off to one side. Pin is welded in one half of each tube. They are also slightly different lengths, helps as you don't have to line up both exactly when holding this 60lb gate when putting it back on.

Here we have Northern Tools. They have trailer parts. Things like weld-on hinges, latches and tie-downs. Maybe there is something similar there.

I hated the ramp first time I drove to NC mountains. Was like a big sail and I could not maintain speed going up mountain. I took it off and have a lightweight aluminum ramp for the bikes.

7. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Anyone know how much a sheet of thin ally chequer plate is? Failing that a sheet of say 1mm or 0.8mm galavanised steel sheet. I've decided to make a top for it to turn it into a box trailer and need to skin the top and also the tailgate with something a little lighter/thinner than ply . I did think I might see how much an old fibreglass roof from a box van might be from a van breakers near me and use that as it would be very light.

From measuring up the sides will be made from 25x25x3mm angle and 10mm ply, the tailgate which will be side opening and the top which would be hinged from the front will have frames of 25x25mm box section.

8. Justme

Justme Member

I bought a sheet of 1mm galv not long ago. Inc the delivery VAT & a few cuts it came to about £35 I think the sheet on its own was £22.

Justme

9. MrFluffy Member

10. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
Advertisements