Newbie.. Power requirements for a lincoln speed tec 215c

1. Tally New Member

from the uk and done some arc welding and the occasional gasless mig which i really hated (or is it just me) but now looking for a nice bit of welding kit..

Recently had a 32amp blue socket installed with a 40amp breaker behind it so now i can actually get a decent mig.. But can i safely hook up the listed machine to my plug using a 32amp plug? because it says it has a 16amp fuse?

I am also planning to use a argon mix gas 20 litre bottle.. how long would that last you reckon?

And lastly what would you say is the best all round wire to fit? because i want to use a 15kg spool of 1mm solid wire for welding 3-6mm box section or sheet metal.. normally and the occasional real thick 15mm steel..

Help would be hugely appreciated because like i said im a newbie here hehe

2. fnlvder Forum Supporter

32A plug is no problem but you should really swap the 40A breaker for a 16/20A instead

3. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Is the 16amp fuse internal to your machine?

4. fnlvder Forum Supporter

I made that last post after a quick look at the sales blurb and saw 16a mentioned. After downloading the manual it appears that 16a supply is good for up to 160a welding current and if you want full output it recommends a 25a breaker.

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. 123hotchef Member

why not a 32amp breaker?

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. 123hotchef Member

who installed the 32amp socket with a 40amp breaker? Just curious

7. fnlvder Forum Supporter

There's no fuse in the plug so the breaker is the protection for the cable and machine.

When I posted that I was wrongly assuming that 16A was the max current required. Lincoln recommends a 25A breaker in the manual.

32a isn't much more than 25a but if you're replacing the breaker anyway you might as well go with the recommended size

8. 123hotchef Member

9. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

123hotchef likes this.
  10. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

The fuse doesn't matter
    If there is a short in the machine this will trip whatever the rathed value ,the thing that really matter is type of sensibility
    Someone will recommend a type D breaker
    But because the breaker is bigger than what is required just use a type C
    Another thing ,since you have a 32A socket put a 32A breaker not bigger than that
    6mm² lines
    About your supposed materials thickness ....
    15mm , must be done by putting various beads , make you a favour use a stick welder for this thicknesses
    I understood that mig generally doesn't work as good as stick welding on big thickness
    Expecially single phase and low amps
    You need a different Argon mix and go in spray arc to weld on this thickness
    Ps
    If you put a 100A breaker this will not trip until few fraction of second or even seconds
    But a slightly bigger breaker will work as same
    Examples
    16A breaker you can put 20A
    25A you can put 32A
    Ps bis
    I'm not saying that is what you are supposed to do or what you have to do

11. Tally New Member

thanks for the comments guys..I need to clarify the breaker issue.. the reason why its a 40amp type b is because that is what was needed to handle the inrush current from my plasma cutter which draws 37 on start up etc. This was on advise from the manufacture and what the sparky said i should do. But i only have one socket installed so im hopping i can connect both machines to this plug without switching out breakers etc

Memmeddu likes this.
  12. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

If you have an outlet ready with 40A breaker you can run both welder and plasma in this outlet (not both together )

13. Tally New Member

But i could safely plug this machine into the socket though right? because i dont want to go around changing the breakers around as i aint a sparky.. But yeah i was planning to have a 32amp blue plug fitted to this to plug straight into the socket with the same type b breaker

Memmeddu likes this.
  14. Tally New Member

The breaker is located on a large fuse board with many other breakers including 3 phase power.. so its not something i want to tamper around with as i aint a sparky but as i asked something else... i should be fine with a 40amp right? the wire that goes from the breaker to the plug can handle 50amp.. its just the machine im worried about.. it should have its own internal fuse right?

15. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Yes you can because the socket has a rathed amperage value but it can survive to almost the double of the current it's rathed for
    And the breaker is tripped before that the socket can be damaged
    Do you know why you need the breaker ?
    It's not exactly to protect the machine , but it's more to protect you in case the machine gives up
    And this can happen when the circuit board is damaged ,the rectifier bridge on the main line(into the welder) is broken etc
    So the wrong size breaker doesn't makes difference between a broken or a functional machine if this is your concern
    Because it trips when the welder is already broken

16. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

The machine will be fine , with a smaller breaker you will only put a limit to the machine
    The machine itself will be fine ,the breaker also if is of size recommend from the manufacturer will trip only the machine it's already broken
    The machine does cost because you are paying for an industrial/commercial machine
    I don't think that you will kill it too easy

17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I would go:

32amp sockets
    C32 or D32 breaker

and forget about it. It will run forever and a day.

You're protecting the supply cable to the machine, rather than the machine itself. The machine if it has a fault, will ground out against its earthed chassis at some point and trip the breaker at that point.

The machine has it's own thermal cutout systems, it's a decent machine so you'll never really need to think about it unless you're pushing 1.2mm wire through it at full wirespeed.

I would use 1.0mm wire for the range of materials you mentioned, it's a really decent all purpose wire size, it will run really nicely in the speedtec :)

Memmeddu likes this.
Advertisements