new tool for work

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

Maker, Welderpaul, fizzy and 7 others like this.
  2. zx9

zx9 Member

You know it makes sense. Welcome to the 21st century. :)

stuvy, fizzy, Craig-SM and 2 others like this.
  3. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

The days of 25KG yellow plastic boxes in your tool box are numbered and good riddance i say as ive always hated lugging these things around sites:vsad:...good buy brightman:thumbup:

stuvy, fizzy, daleyd and 4 others like this.
  4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Fact of life for me. I have and use cordless but some jobs need the power and longevity of mains

stuvy, fizzy and roofman like this.
  5. brightspark

brightspark Member

toolstore was flogging it cheaper than anyone else, there was one at autojumble second hand for 70 quid . looked in good nick but it makes you wonder if its faulty or nicked or you may buy a lemon

6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Sds and grinder are next on my buy list

Both get used regularly but usually only for the odd hole or cut so makes sense.

fizzy, mtt.tr and brightspark like this.
  7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Don't overlook Screwfix, they do that SDS with 2x 4ah batteries and a charger for £199, I'm sure they had the bare unit on special recently but it looks like they don't list now.

The kit may not be viable if you already have loads but for an extra £95 for 2 batteries and a charger is a good deal

stuvy and fizzy like this.
  8. brightspark

brightspark Member

I scored 2- 5ah batteries for 40 quid each of someone :laughing:funny how they don't break when dropped of a lorry

slim_boy_fat, stuvy, fizzy and 2 others like this.
  9. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

and heres me thinking you bought summit legit at normal price:D

10. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

The first time I experienced SDS battery drill was down south somewhere trying to drill into LBC engineering bricks fixing a sign with a percussion drill. Popped down the local merchants for some better drill bits to find the area AEG rep was setting up the branch with stock. I bought a SDS drill and a jigsaw. Cost me well over 600quid That was in 89. Wow the power was amazing, it punched through those bricks. Not having cables is soooooo nice, people dont know how lucky they are:laughing:

I still have the jig saw, with original battery

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  11. Kayos

Kayos Member

I recently splurged £2k on all new Makita kit, only thing I plug in these days is the core drill

fizzy likes this.
  12. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

i bought an m12 milwaukee compact sds, 2nd hand, with 3 batteries and charger, for 85(?) quid last month. got a free toolbag and m18 drill with it.

i've been using it to drill 7mm rawlplug holes in council bricks, and quite frankly i'm amazed how good it is.

i keep looking at the 18v sds, but i've only used the 240v one twice in 18 months, so not sure if it'll be worth it.
    its on my santa list...

i've permanently mounted the 110v transformer in the shed - primarily to power the chopsaw. i think i've got a 110v sander and a hammer drill somewhere, but never really had a use for 110v:
    its nice and cheap now, though, since everyone is going cordless.

fizzy and 123hotchef like this.
  13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I still use my 240v Makita SDS I bought brand new in B+Q for £40 a few years ago. They were moving branches and it was hidden right at the very back of a shelf. The bloke on checkout didn't look happy - I bet he didn't think anyone would find it:laughing:

14. jenki Forum Supporter

I still have a an AEG SDS drill which I bought circa 1987 when I moved into a limestone Mill House the drill cost a fortune back then; only used for DIY but still invaluable.

15. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

I have the Milwaukee M18 CHPX SDS drill and it's effortless to use. I previously had a corded Bosch SDS and thought that was good, but these is another league and being so well damped from vibration you don't realise how powerful it is and without using depth stops you can do some unwanted damage

bigegg likes this.
  16. kcchan Member

I’ve bought the same thing. I toyed around with buying one second hand but they were all selling for about the same price as you’ve posted. Not used it yet but going to use it this weekend.

brightspark likes this.
  17. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

i'll add that specific one to my santa list.
    :thumbup:

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

you wont be disappointed :)

bigegg likes this.
  19. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Ive got a dewalt sds its brilliant use it all the time, will manage a 25mm sds bit.

Its on one occasion cored 100mm hole, done miles chasing with the sds and cordless grinder.

bigegg likes this.
  20. kcchan Member

Used it today and it’s as I expected. Decent power and nice and light compared to my corded Titan one.

Really glad I bought it.

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements