New to welding

1. completenovice New Member

Hi
    Today was the first time ever I used a welding machine. My so called welds are really terrible, I have tried adjusting the wire feed and heat but nothing seems to work, it just seems to burn through the 1.3mm stainless steel sheet. I cleaned the sheet before I started to weld. I have no idea why this is happening, if anyone could advise I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    K
    welding.jpg

• welding 1.jpg
  2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    What machine are you using, what wire and what gas, if any?
    Those photos are pretty poor, it’s hard to see what’s going on but there doesn’t look to be any gas shielding. Or is is gasless wire?
    That sheet looks more like zintec than stainless. All you should be using is mild steel sheet, nothing else.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  3. completenovice New Member

Wolf MIG 140 Welder Gas/No Gas Combination, using the flux cored MIG wire that came with it, haven't tried the gas yet, I bought stainless steel on ebay but I don't think it is to be honest, I'll buy more steel sheeting and see if that helps, thanks for your reply.

4. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    What made you order stainless sheet?

5. a111r Member

Just find some free scrap sheet steel and clean it with an angle grinder, which you'll need anyway.

6. completenovice New Member

thought it would be better than Aluminium

a111r likes this.
  7. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    You definitely don’t want aluminium.

Parm likes this.
  8. bourbon Member

watch the videos on here, they are very informative. Gasless burns hotter, Buy some 3mm steel plate, Doesn't have to be a big piece. An angle grinder as well. Are you using the mask that came with the welder? Throw it away and buy an auto darkening mask.

9. Parm

Parm Temporarily operating from the Devon Annex

If you are very novice to all this, start be reading the tutorials on here. They are good to get you going

As a novice myself, I’d stat with steel, normal wire and gas. I’ve had a go with flux core wire, it’s the work of the devil

What ever you do don’t give up.

Practice, practice, practice, then practice more

wacky7791 and Wany like this.
  10. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

I would say 99% of flux core is the work of the devil, I have a 5kg spool used in emergencies and the current spool is noticeably better than the last one, can't remember the maker off hand.

Wany and Parm like this.
  11. bourbon Member

Hey!! that's my line:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Parm likes this.
Advertisements