New to Welding, So Many options Any Advice Please

1. waynerp New Member

Hi All.
    So I am new to welding and have only used a basic Arc Welder, but want to purchase a Mig/Tig welder to start practising and practising some more.
    The goal is to start welding on my projects which will be mainly non strictural parts of frames on motorbikes etc, so it will be 2mm mild steel that i will mainly be using.

Although I am a total novice and there is a lot of learning and practice ahead of me I ideally want to make the right purchase first time. Sure if i get into it in a few years i might need upgrade machines, but for now i plan on making the right choice first time.
    I am looking at machines that also give me the ability to try out TIG welding, so here are a couple i have found

In your experience will these be ok, or am i way off the mark??

Any advice much appreciated

So I am looking at kit like the GYS EasyMIG 160
    https://www.weldingsuppliesdirect.c...t/mig-welders/gys-easymig-160-mig-welder.html

or a Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i
    https://www.unitedwelding.co.uk/the...e-230v-ce-for-mig--tig--arc-welding-168-p.asp

2. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Hi Wayne, if you're wanting a MIG/ Lift TIG set i'd not go for the EasyMIG 160 as its a scratch start only.
    The Thermal Arc Fabricator 181 is a good bit of kit and will see you well for a starter machine and, at that price point, is really the only one i'd consider.

If you increase the budget to around £950 then you've got a few more options, the first i'd consider would be the GYS Multi Pearl 200-2, a really nice fully synergic multi process machine.

Jlg likes this.
  3. weldequip Forum Sponsor

If it's mainly tubular frame work I'd be looking for a dedicated TIG machine, all the mentioned are essentially MIG sets with the ability to also do basic TIG.

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  4. waynerp New Member

Hi Tom.
    Many Thanks for your advice. So does fully synergic mean its not scratch start?

5. waynerp New Member

Hi. My goal is to TIG welding, but isn't this the hardest form to learn? I figured start out practising on MIG and once I have an understanding build upto TIG. Would as Tom mentioned the GYS multi Pearl be better suited for both Mig and Tig?

6. weldequip Forum Sponsor

TIG is the hardest, yes. All processes are different, have their own skill set & take a long time to learn properly; TIG will give you the nicest finish on tubular stuff, so if that's your game, concentrate your learning efforts on that & get a TIG.

waynerp likes this.
  7. Jlg

Jlg Member

If you start learning mig you will be in the same boat as you are now when you want to learn tig so I'd just buy a dedicated tig set and learn it I have a mig and I used to use it all the time but since learning tig I hardly use it this year I have used the mig twice

8. waynerp New Member

OK thanks all.
    So any recommendations for a TIG. I've been concentrating on the MIG's

9. Jlg

Jlg Member

For a budget it's parweld or jasic next thing to think about is do you want just dc or ac/dc

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  10. waynerp New Member

From the little i know DC is the most common and AC considered entry level? Would i need AC for the tube work intend to use it for?

11. Jlg

Jlg Member

IT depends on if you ever want to weld ali you can buy a ac/dc parweld for the £950 mark or a dc only for around the 500£ mark

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

You need to do some research mate. Ac and dc has nothing to do with how common or the level of skill required. They are processes within a tig welder used to weld certain materials. You only need ac if you plan on welding aluminium. Other wise a dc only machine is suitable. Do some research into it and get a firm understanding of what the tig process is.
    Google is your friend

13. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

When it comes to MMA set that comment may be nearly correct, AC buzzboxes are more rudimental and crude; when it comes to TIG’s, DC is your standard lower priced set and AC/DC TIG sets are higher end because they give you the ability to weld aluminium and a few other materials.
    As said by a few other lads, take a look at the likes of Stealth, Jasic, Parweld etc.. they’ll mostly come in under a grand and serve you well.

14. gt6s Member

Has this turned into an anti MIG thread ? Do not rule MIG out. It is a far faster process and forgives more on precision fit of parts over a TIG Also easier learned (with a decent machine) If you decide to go TIG later there are quite a few HF lower price units on the market to give you a start. The MIG will still be there when you need it or even when you are single handed and need to tack a job up.

Laurence

15. Jlg

Jlg Member

Mig may be easier but the op stated wanting to get into tig eventually and I'd sooner trust a beginner tig weld than a mig weld for lof

16. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Im lucky enough to have both, and have modded (butchered) many a bike.

Yes tig is the dogs danglies on a custom frame, looks nice etc, but why use a tig to mod a frame that was origionally mig welded when the bike was new.

Advertisements