New to the Forum

1. Alex4787 Member

Good Evening everyone.

Always looking to increase my skillset - Welding is on the list.
    I bought a cheap lidl arc welder whilst it was on offer for £30odd a while back, it was an impulse buy, I've not had the chance to use/learn from it and reading up on them it seems they're not great anyways - As with all tools I buy from lidl (the odd spanner) I don't mind a little abuse - I'm assuming there must be a welders equivalent? If you do have one, what do you use it for?
    I've got myself some gauntlets and a half decent auto helmet.

I'm extremely interested in buying a decent beginners MIG and teaching myself how to weld.
    This will come in handy for fabrication and possible automotive welding.

I've had a look at some of the Clarke MIG range and quite like the look of the 135TE.
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

Its a little more expensive than I was looking to spend but I'm sure I would recoup some of that money over time. Does anyone have the 135TE and what are your thoughts?

Ideally I would like to spend some time with someone to get the basics down but don't know anyone personally that can weld. Any ideas on how I would go about this?
    I know a college course is an option but I don't have the free time away from work.
    Is there a members register? (some other forums I'm a member of hold members days where we all swap/help with expertise)

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It's a bit optimistic up to 5mm, 3mm would be more it's range but there's nothing wrong with the machine. Budget for a decent gas cylinder though as the miniatures last about 5 minutes and cost a fortune. Have a look at the 151en, bit more power for a bit less money. Welcome to the forum.

Alex4787 likes this.
  3. Alex4787 Member

Thanks for the welcome Pedro, I've had a quick look over the 151en - This would need hardwiring, I couldn't run this from the house mains?
    Realistically, I'm only looking to up my skillset, make some novelty items, tools, possibly driveway gates, repair car parts where needed and possibly some bodywork welding when I'm up to scratch.

On my note above - If anyone in the Glasgow area wouldn't mind giving a quick tutorial I'd be willing to pay for materials used or throw a couple of beer tokens your way.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Alex :waving:- loads of good lads on here always ready to offer help & advice. :thumbup:

Yes, it'll run on a 13A plug, although if you push it to its max it may blow the plug fuse. I have the R-Tech 180 which is fine on 13A plug, but I've never needed to find its limitations [as far as current requirements] yet. It just works.......:thumbup:

Alex4787 likes this.
  5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

151en will run on 13amp circuit no problem. You might need a less sensitive circuit breaker, some people do find earth trips going off occasionally.

Alex4787 likes this.
  6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

to note i weld with the 150 and im welding 5mm via the 13 amp plug no problem other than forgetting its trip out when in use

so heres a quick guide for the 151

this is how i see it as reference points for clarke 150/151

done by sheet steel thickness

1 Min 0.8 sheet
    A 2 Min 1/2mm
    A 3 Min 2mm/3mm

1 Max 2mm/3mm
    A 2 Max 4mm
    A 3 Max 5mm

then adjust your wire speed to suit i set mine around 4/5 and adjust from there on any sheet thickness

also some have a no vat voucher on the forums i do believe so would be 220.00 instead of the vat added on it

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/mig151en-turbo-no-gas-mig-welder/

Alex4787, Gragson and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. Alex4787 Member

Thanks for the input guys..
    I'll continue to read other threads and watch videos etc to get a better understanding of the process and best practice.
    I've actually got a Machine Mart membership so I'll keep an eye out for a no vat day or any deals they might be doing

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Joe45 Member

Are you welding thin auto body panels. If your not would you consider buying a nice inverter stick machine. It be a lot cheaper to run . You wouldn't have to bother with gas .

9. daedalusminos Member

He's already got a Lidl arc welder....which begs the question why he hasn't tried it yet.

10. Alex4787 Member

As above, I do have a lidl arc welder - I've just not had the time to pick it up and learn to use it just yet.
    Now that Im making time to learn, I've read up on them and discovered that yes they might stick two pieces together but they're questionable and might not be the bargain they appear to be?

Also, the long term goal would be to be able to weld in some panels to one or two of my cars if required.

11. Alex4787 Member

From memory is was the smaller version..
    I'm going to dig it out sometime over next weekend/week as I'm off work and give it a go either way.
    I know stick isn't the best for panelwork, even with a tonne of experience - I've read that MIG is more suitable and would give me more to play with if needed.
    That's one of the reasons I found my way to these forums, for advice and information.

I'm led to believe that the small lidl arcs aren't very good for light/thinner panels/exhaust piping etc..

12. Alex4787 Member

Yeah from what I've read stick isn't the one for welding bodypanels etc and know MIG/TIG are both arc processes. I was just referencing the machine I had at home..
    2mm you say- I'm sure I could find other uses for it even if its just making brackets etc..
    I have a hardtop for one of my cars that could do with some sturdy hanging brackets - That'll be one of the firsts thing I'll try.

Advertisements